Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 28596 times)

Offline Therewolfmb

• Petty Officer
  • T
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2024, 12:47:35 AM »
Oh man, I thought that was how it worked already. I didn’t realize my fleets were slowly draining their MSP. Panic

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #241 on: February 01, 2024, 06:14:40 AM »
Oh man, I thought that was how it worked already. I didn’t realize my fleets were slowly draining their MSP. Panic

They’re not. They consume MSP from the colony they orbit first, if it has any. The maintenance facilities there are constantly building new MSP, provided they have the right minerals.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #242 on: February 01, 2024, 09:35:09 AM »
Suggestion - New "No Maintenance Cost" Game Rule

Currently in the game setup rules we have "No Maintenance Required", which disables all ship breakdowns, failures, overhauls, and ongoing MSP maintenance costs. I personally would enjoy a less severe version of this where ships still suffer maintenance breakdowns when away from a maintenance base and require overhauls, but there is no annual MSP consumption for ships at a maintenance base. This would allow for building larger standing fleets and make it less costly to keep obsolete ships, while still having the logistics challenge of building forward fleet bases and maintaining pickets.
Or, alternatively, perhaps have it be paid with wealth instead? In the beginning where wealth is scarce, it might be an issue, but then again, maintenance is low at those times, and you can probably compensate the wealth costs by shutting MSP production off more frequently.
Later, wealth often overflows due to having many no-producer colonies, so this would be a nice way to integrate it back more and be useful.

I support the 'No Maintenance Cost' idea anyway, because since Aurora VB I have always fought for ways to work around paying tn-materials for harbored ships. Planetary hangars then, now orbital hangars. It would be nice if that wasn't necessary anymore, while I can still design my ships around efficiency and running times.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, Snoman314

Offline superstrijder15

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2024, 10:19:10 AM »
Add an "auto-organize" button to the galactic map screen, which automatically sorts systems so we don't have to manually re-arrange the galactic map once it starts getting large

Consider looking at this piece of code I wrote last year. If you are able to write a bit of your own SQL and run python code, you can probably use this every now and then to get a map that is *kind of*  organized.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13284

Offline Therewolfmb

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #244 on: February 01, 2024, 11:10:09 AM »

They’re not. They consume MSP from the colony they orbit first, if it has any. The maintenance facilities there are constantly building new MSP, provided they have the right minerals.

You misunderstood, I thought it was free so I have been setting up my frontier maintenance colonies without any extra MSP or minerals to make it. The fleets are have been maintained on their own supplies for a good while now. So now I gotta scramble to resupply them and figure out how to keep them supplied.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #245 on: February 01, 2024, 12:09:10 PM »

You misunderstood, I thought it was free so I have been setting up my frontier maintenance colonies without any extra MSP or minerals to make it. The fleets are have been maintained on their own supplies for a good while now. So now I gotta scramble to resupply them and figure out how to keep them supplied.
If you don't already know, you can see how much MSP a fleet is using in the summary above the ship list ("Annual MSP ###") to help you figure out how much you need. Non-commercial ships use 1/4 their cost in MSP per year, and MSP cost 0.25 minerals each, so after 16 years you have paid the ship cost again in maintenance. If you have keep an old ship around for ~30 years, you might as well have scrapped it to get some of its cost back and built two higher-tech ships instead.

Or, alternatively, perhaps have it be paid with wealth instead? In the beginning where wealth is scarce, it might be an issue, but then again, maintenance is low at those times, and you can probably compensate the wealth costs by shutting MSP production off more frequently.
Later, wealth often overflows due to having many no-producer colonies, so this would be a nice way to integrate it back more and be useful.
I like this idea quite a bit - maybe we could call the option "Wealth-Based Maintenance" to make it more clearly different from "No Maintenance Required".

The following users thanked this post: Therewolfmb

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #246 on: February 01, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »
Could we increase the number of alien artifacts found at xeno dig sites by a factor of... like... 10x? We found a city-sized ruin - 900+ structures - and, by the end of the dig, we had a couple thousand artifacts. These were all absorbed right back into the local population over the course of just a couple years; I don't think that a civilian freighter even got a chance to take any back to Earth. It was rather anticlimactic, and certainly much less useful than the twenty research labs or dozens of other facilities that we found.

Alternatively, alien ruins should produce a steady production of artifacts (amount dependent on the size of the ruins) and the local population shouldn't demand them - a built-in bonus trade good for settlements on ruin worlds.

While I'm thinking on ruins, could we get back the chance of uncovering Precursor Robots that were an infrequent spicy treat when snooping around fallen alien cities in VB6?

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #247 on: February 01, 2024, 05:11:11 PM »
While I'm thinking on ruins, could we get back the chance of uncovering Precursor Robots that were an infrequent spicy treat when snooping around fallen alien cities in VB6?
I never liked that feature personally. It basically just makes ruin recovery take longer, because you have to spend the time to send extra troops.

Offline notlogic

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2024, 07:06:43 PM »
Back with some more suggestions.  Apologies if this is too many or, if like last time, I ignorantly suggest things that are already possible or present in a different form.   

--
QOL/UI

Naval Organization Menu: Allow shift-click or ctrl-click to select multiple fleets that we can then drag and assign to a new fleet.

Multiple Menus:  Allow resizing of column width.  I noticed I can't read which ELINT module I'm adding without clicking or hovering.  Might be an issue for others, as well.

Naval Organization Menu:  Ability to ‘pin’ or locations, fleets, etc to the top of Movement Orders list.  Could be implemented by allowing rt-clicking on an item in the Movement Orders list and selecting ‘pin’ from a context menu.

Naval Organization Menu:  Ability to edit items in the middle of a queue – such as quantities picked up/dropped off

Research Menu:
  • Previous Suggestion: To add to a working scientist’s queue, enable drag+drop research from bottom list up to ongoing research
  • Additional Suggestion: Enable drag+drop a free scientist from bottom list up to ongoing research to replace the previous scientist.

Intelligence and Foreign Relations Menu:  All the event log communications notifications with each species, and possibly other notifications, could be kept and sorted here.

Events Window:  Ability to assign custom color to Retirements and Commander Health announcement only if they have an assignment.

Class Design:  In the large right-hand window showing the current class build, add tool tips when you hover your mouse over different stats and components giving you more information about them.  Such as what PPV or TH means.  Additionally, if someone clicks on an added component in that window, have it be selected under the components window to the left – similar to selecting a Commander on the left after you’ve clicked a commander search result.  These tool tips could also be carried over to other areas of the game where the class build is shown, such as when you click on an individual ship in Naval Organization showing class data below.

Economics-Research:  When a technology research project is created, list any subsequent technology it will unlock in a different color below so that it can be queued for the same scientist.  If there is concern that this would be some sort of spoiler for new players, have a setting that seasoned players could select to enable this feature.

New Feature Suggestions

Economics-Civilian/Flags:  Conditional shipping contracts.  Allow setting conditions to add supplies or demands automatically.  For example, set a condition at Earth where if the number of DSTS > 100 then add any X DSTS to supply.  Would be even more useful if minerals, MSP, or fuel could be added to shipping contracts.

Complex Technology/Research:  Create some new technologies, and convert some old technologies, to be Complex Technologies.  Complex Research would require multiple scientists, and benefit from adding scientists from other specific fields.  A Complex Technology could have a primary field, and secondary/tertiary fields.  List the Complex Technology with its primary field, but after its Research Cost include a letter/indication for its other fields. 

As an example, to add flavor to why shields are self-powered, instead of:

“Alpha Shields    1,000”

you could list:

“Alpha Shields    1,000 P”

with P noting that a Power & Propulsion scientist is needed.  The supporting scientists could grant a fraction of their research bonus and labs.  To balance any old techs becoming Complex Techs and suddenly getting these potential bonuses, their costs could be adjusted.

The following users thanked this post: Arkrider

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2024, 08:32:46 PM »
I never liked that feature personally. It basically just makes ruin recovery take longer, because you have to spend the time to send extra troops.

Worse, the "spicy treat" had a tendency to blow up your loot as collateral damage, which meant that the way to recover loot safely was to have a freighter on station constantly moving installations from the ruin site to some other dumping ground colony, which was annoying and immersion-breaking, let's be honest here.

Offline Steve Zax

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2024, 10:01:27 PM »

Worse, the "spicy treat" had a tendency to blow up your loot as collateral damage, which meant that the way to recover loot safely was to have a freighter on station constantly moving installations from the ruin site to some other dumping ground colony, which was annoying and immersion-breaking, let's be honest here.

Famously, blue emu's campaign at Wolf 294
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 10:06:36 PM by Steve Zax »

Offline ExecCrawfish

• Leading Rate
  • E
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2024, 01:55:07 AM »
I hesitate to report this in the bug thread because it's likely working as written, just in an unintuitive way. Currently, I'm staking out the far side of a jump point to an NPR system. For the past three game years they've been sending intermittent warships through, and occasionally gate construction ships. However, now that I've focused on capturing everything coming through the gate instead of destroying it... the NPR keeps routing civilian traffic through. There isn't even a gate on my side of the JP.

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2024, 07:30:08 AM »

Famously, blue emu's campaign at Wolf 294
While I think random spiciness is best for roleplaying reasons; perhaps as a nod to gameplay, if a ruin is chosen as "spicy", it would be the very first thing your construction teams unearth? That way the other ruins haven't been generated yet, so there's no worry about them being destroyed.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2024, 10:33:34 AM »
While I think random spiciness is best for roleplaying reasons; perhaps as a nod to gameplay, if a ruin is chosen as "spicy", it would be the very first thing your construction teams unearth? That way the other ruins haven't been generated yet, so there's no worry about them being destroyed.

This would actually make a lot of sense and work pretty well...

...however, we basically already have this since planets with ruins "usually" have ground units defending them. So really the only difference would be if they are already there defending or pop out in a surprise attack. I don't think having both at the same time works very well, practically.

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2024, 12:10:17 PM »
This would actually make a lot of sense and work pretty well...

...however, we basically already have this since planets with ruins "usually" have ground units defending them. So really the only difference would be if they are already there defending or pop out in a surprise attack. I don't think having both at the same time works very well, practically.
That's fair - so far in my games I've seen defended planets and I've seen planets with ruins, but ne'er the two together. It makes sense that defended planets would/should be guarding something valuable.