Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 28639 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2024, 04:47:01 PM »
Yeah I would not like going back to old spoiler behaviour vis-a-vis ruins.

Please bring back SM-mode EDIT buttons for fuel and MSP amounts on a colony so we don't have to do via DB editing or by creating a 'scrap'-ship just to unload it at the colony for this purpose.

The following users thanked this post: backstab, ChubbyPitbull, superstrijder15, BAGrimm, tastythighs

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2024, 05:55:05 PM »
QoL suggestion: Allow partial-HS sizes for magazine components.

Usually, when I am designing a missile ship I have in mind a specific number of missiles I want in each magazine. Due to the non-nice numbers that result from the magazine efficiency tech levels as well as adding armor layers, it is usually rather difficult to get a magazine which is a correct or often even a close match to the desired form factors. For example, in a current ship design I would like 4 magazines with 120 capacity each (5 reloads x 4 launchers x size 6 missiles; the number of magazines is set by a balance of roleplay and mechanics considerations), however I have the 85% efficiency tech which means I can have capacity-119 magazines at size 7 or go up to size 8 and waste a bunch of space (using that tonnage for extra armor layers just drives up the cost unnecessarily).

An alternative would be to implement an option to select a desired capacity, similar to the recent jump drive design change, but I understand this would be more challenging to implement due to the armor calculation so I'd be fine with just having some non-integer sizes to work with.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, Aloriel, Vandermeer, BAGrimm, Pedroig, Snoman314, tastythighs

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2024, 10:31:32 AM »
I'd like the ability/option to run the mineral overview by total availability - give me a listing of the bodies that have the highest availability and most variety of minerals.

The following users thanked this post: tastythighs

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2024, 05:48:01 PM »
Oh man, I thought that was how it worked already. I didn’t realize my fleets were slowly draining their MSP. Panic

They’re not. They consume MSP from the colony they orbit first, if it has any. The maintenance facilities there are constantly building new MSP, provided they have the right minerals.

You misunderstood, I thought it was free so I have been setting up my frontier maintenance colonies without any extra MSP or minerals to make it. The fleets are have been maintained on their own supplies for a good while now. So now I gotta scramble to resupply them and figure out how to keep them supplied.

Oops!

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2024, 05:51:49 PM »
Or, alternatively, perhaps have it be paid with wealth instead? In the beginning where wealth is scarce, it might be an issue, but then again, maintenance is low at those times, and you can probably compensate the wealth costs by shutting MSP production off more frequently.
Later, wealth often overflows due to having many no-producer colonies, so this would be a nice way to integrate it back more and be useful.
I like this idea quite a bit - maybe we could call the option "Wealth-Based Maintenance" to make it more clearly different from "No Maintenance Required".

Yea, I like that idea too.

In fact, people are always suggesting adding some more recycling to the game (above and beyond scrapping old ships to build new ones). How about a recycling tech that replaces a fraction of the mineral costs with a wealth cost? The wealth is you buying recycled materials on the open market.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2024, 01:12:32 PM »
The possibility in the class design window to get an extra tab "ship combat" the same as in the naval org. view to check how the disposition of the armament looks like before putting the ship in production.

The following users thanked this post: papent, captainwolfer, tastythighs

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #261 on: February 06, 2024, 08:05:07 AM »
The possibility in the class design window to get an extra tab "ship combat" the same as in the naval org. view to check how the disposition of the armament looks like before putting the ship in production.
One step further.
It would be nice to do a standard distribution and settings for the Weapons and Fire Controls (especially PD settings), so that all ships of this class get them when they are finished building.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser, AlStar, tastythighs

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2024, 11:04:35 PM »
Folks have complained in the past about how it was easier to gain ground forces attack value by researching plasma carronades since the tech was lower per caliber. I believe that has largely been fixed now, but while thinking about why that was an issue, I had a related idea:

Change ground forces attack to be based on the sum total of research points into all weapon caliber techs plus missile warhead tech, and ground forces defense to be based on the sum total of research points into armor and shield techs.

The benefit is there's no "gaming the system" by focusing on a single weapon type to get ground troop strength up faster, and no penalty for spreading your research across multiple weapon (or defense) types.

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2024, 05:13:59 AM »
- Ability to mark a character to be Retain in advance, before he/she would go to retire.
- On Map, the ability to mark a few systems at once and move them (with Ctrl.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:28:22 AM by Kiero »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2024, 06:19:29 AM »
- Ability to mark a character to be Retain in advance, before he/she would go to retire.
- On Map, the ability to mark a few systems at once and move them (with Ctrl.)

You can already do both.

The story character flag will prevent commander retirement. On the galactic map, you can use Ctrl, or shift-drag, to select multiple systems. Just make sure you don't click on one when dragging the group.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2024, 04:12:09 PM »
The story character flag will prevent commander retirement...

Yeah, I was thinking more like let them retire but mark them to be Retain automatically. So You don't have to remember to do that manually.  8)

Offline Arkrider

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2024, 01:27:36 PM »
Is this the suggestions thread for current builds? I'm hoping so.

My suggestion is a Quartermaster's, Cargomaster's, NESCO's or Intendant's  (pick your noun) Command & Control module for ships, equivalent to Aux.  Control, that adds the Logistics bonus of an officer to the ship.

Surprised that's missing, actually, since that's usually a pretty big deal IRL.  Pork chops (supply officers) are two-three steps from God on a ship depending on its class. 

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2024, 06:57:15 PM »
Is this the suggestions thread for current builds? I'm hoping so.

My suggestion is a Quartermaster's, Cargomaster's, NESCO's or Intendant's  (pick your noun) Command & Control module for ships, equivalent to Aux.  Control, that adds the Logistics bonus of an officer to the ship.

Surprised that's missing, actually, since that's usually a pretty big deal IRL.  Pork chops (supply officers) are two-three steps from God on a ship depending on its class.
They aren't added because using them would be a no-brainer. Every cargo vessel would have them, there's no decision making involved. You get the admin bonus if you set up your admin structure right and you get the ship commander's bonus on top. It's the same reason why there isn't a terraforming leadership module or Sorium harvesting leadership module.

The following users thanked this post: backstab, Vandermeer, captainwolfer

Offline Arkrider

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #268 on: February 19, 2024, 11:21:25 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=13404. msg168728#msg168728 date=1708304235
They aren't added because using them would be a no-brainer.  Every cargo vessel would have them, there's no decision making involved.  You get the admin bonus if you set up your admin structure right and you get the ship commander's bonus on top.  It's the same reason why there isn't a terraforming leadership module or Sorium harvesting leadership module.

Seems like this is an unpopular idea, considering all the thanks you're getting for shooting me down  :-[, but I feel compelled to disagree regardless.  First, so what if every cargo ship has one? Let it happen.  Every cargo ship (probably) has shuttle bays too, does that mean they're a nonsense concept? Same for CIC bridges on combat ships; that tactical bonus is an absolute no-brainer, on any ship larger than an FAC for 3 HS.  Are those too much, as well? After all, you get a pretty good Tactical bonus from setting up your Admin structure correctly there, too, if you emphasize the trait.  Why even have that, if that's an issue?

Second, if it's really a problem to have a named Cargo officer on every Naval cargo ship, instead of just implied. . .  then instead of dismissing the notion completely, let it be large or expensive enough of a module to have a tradeoff.  If it's, say, the size of a cargo shuttle bay, until you already have 4 shuttles, adding one or two more gives more than 25% logistics; you'd need a bunch of really good logistics officers to justify trading a shuttle bay for one in smaller ships.  That way, only your heavy freighters built out of extremely large shipyards merit the office.  Or same/same for large missile boats, stations, etc.  - those may have a cargo officer, but your family-owned small freighter doesn't have the dime for such fancy things.

Or you could set the tech to happen after Advanced Shuttles, where it's pretty much a moot point anyway, at least from what I've seen.  A small boost at that point for what's essentially RP value and officer experience, which is good but not unbalancing.

I'm not convinced that's even really necessary - I always have too many officers to employ anyway, even with a large navy, so it seems like it's just a fun addition and RP aid, you really wouldn't miss much if you didn't add one, since the majority of time is spent between stops and this is just a different form of handling boost.  But if it's really too overpowered, there are answers for that besides "nah, it's a no-brainer. "

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2024, 02:11:50 AM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=13404. msg168728#msg168728 date=1708304235
They aren't added because using them would be a no-brainer.  Every cargo vessel would have them, there's no decision making involved.  You get the admin bonus if you set up your admin structure right and you get the ship commander's bonus on top.  It's the same reason why there isn't a terraforming leadership module or Sorium harvesting leadership module.

Seems like this is an unpopular idea, considering all the thanks you're getting for shooting me down  :-[, but I feel compelled to disagree regardless.  First, so what if every cargo ship has one? Let it happen.

It is important to recognize that one of the core design principles of Aurora (articulated by Steve himself) is that good gameplay features create interesting decisions. If adding a feature doesn't create an interesting decision for the player, it's just an extra button to click to get +X% bonus or whatever. This is the reason why the suggestion of additional officer modules for commercial ships has never happened, because it does not create any interesting decision besides "when do I spend 5k RP to research this?" and "How fast can I double-click to add this component?" -
or at least, we generally perceive this to be the case.

Every cargo ship (probably) has shuttle bays too, does that mean they're a nonsense concept?

Cargo Shuttle Bays present an interesting, if minor, decision in the choice of how many to add. Each additional one improves your ship's load/unload speed, but also increases build cost and ship size, so it is a proper decision to make about how many shuttle bays to have on a ship. Admittedly a minor decision but it is there and is not what most would call a "no-brainer".

Same for CIC bridges on combat ships; that tactical bonus is an absolute no-brainer, on any ship larger than an FAC for 3 HS.  Are those too much, as well? After all, you get a pretty good Tactical bonus from setting up your Admin structure correctly there, too, if you emphasize the trait.  Why even have that, if that's an issue?

The CIC isn't really a no-brainer, either. It might seem like it, but consider two extremes: on one hand, if a ship has only one weapon mounted, it is probably better to mount a second weapon to double effective firepower than to mount a CIC for a smaller boost to effective firepower (vis. hit rate). On the other hand, if a ship has 100 weapons, a CIC will almost surely provide a better effective firepower improvement than mounting the 101st weapon for a measly +1% firepower increase. These cases are quite obvious; the question is in-between, where is the optimum point where a CIC is better than an additional weapon (or other component)? This is not so trivial! We have to consider not only the above balance but also other factors, such as opportunity cost versus other components (that 3 HS could be used for, say, a Main Engineering, a bigger sensor, or some hangar space for a small scout shuttle) and expected benefit based on quality and availability of officers (if you don't even have enough officers to staff your ships with just Bridge + AUX modules, you may find many CICs going unstaffed! Of course this depends on how you design your fleet and how you manage your officers...), so this is not even a mathematical optimization problem but a true decision-making opportunity.

The same logical problems apply for the other existing command modules (ENG, SCI, etc.). If I only have 2-3 survey sensors on a survey ship, a SCI module may not give as much benefit as an additional sensor, for example. These are problems that would not really apply for commercial versions (giving bonuses to Logistics, Mining, Terraforming, etc.) - commercial ships are simply so large that a small officer module would be comparatively a no-brainer - what is 150, 250, or even 500 tons for a +10% or better boost to a 125,000-ton terraforming station, for instance? It's a trivial addition, unless the cost of the command module was so large as to break roleplay and immersion for the sake of "balance".

Second, if it's really a problem to have a named Cargo officer on every Naval cargo ship, instead of just implied. . .  then instead of dismissing the notion completely, let it be large or expensive enough of a module to have a tradeoff.  If it's, say, the size of a cargo shuttle bay, until you already have 4 shuttles, adding one or two more gives more than 25% logistics; you'd need a bunch of really good logistics officers to justify trading a shuttle bay for one in smaller ships.  That way, only your heavy freighters built out of extremely large shipyards merit the office.  Or same/same for large missile boats, stations, etc.  - those may have a cargo officer, but your family-owned small freighter doesn't have the dime for such fancy things.

This part is a valid counterpoint, however. Personally, I'm not sure there is much need since this functionality essentially duplicates the Cargo Shuttle Bay functionality with a variable for officer skill level, so I doubt Steve would ever feel inclined to add it - but at least if he does consider it, this argument demonstrates that it can be an actual decision unlike most of the suggestions we see for things like Mining or Terraforming officer stations.