Author Topic: v4.9 Bugs Thread (no longer current)  (Read 27556 times)

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Official v4.9 Bugs Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
I am unnable to add a Small (size 3.5) fighter to a ship with a single boat bay and capacity 5, I am told there is unsufficient space

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
Quote from: "Knight Otu"
I'm getting a few
"Error in NPRPopPlanning
Error 91"
s when advancing time in games that don't use Real Star Systems and have a low difficulty modifier, but seemingly only at the start. In a test, Real Star Systems with pretty much the same options checked (I have different environmental tolerances in both games) does not throw that error. A game without Real Star Systems but with default difficulty also does not appear to cause that error.
This has been reported by a few people on an intermittent basis but I haven't tracked it down yet. Please could you zip and send me your Stevefire.mdb file (my email is stevewalmsley at btinternet.com) so I can reproduce it

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
Quote from: "MoonDragon"
After the civilians bought their first cargo ship, every time the system map refreshes I'm now getting:
Code: [Select]
Error in ShowFleetList

Error 35602 was generated by Nodes
Key is not unique in collection

If it matters, I SM created another civ shipping line as the first one seemed to not want to do much. The very next turn after I created the second one, the first bought its freighter and started causing the issue.
This might not be civilian-related. Do you have two ships or two fleets with the same name?

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
Ground force commanders are getting RIF'd when they are active duty.

I just had a Division HQ commander get surplussed out.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
I'm running Aurora on Ubuntu 9.10 through Wine.  It was working on 4.8x, but since upgrading to 4.90 (and now 4.91) I get a "Run-time Error '13' - Type Mismatch" and Aurora crashes whenever I attempt to load the (F9) 'System Information' window, or the 'Geological Survey Results' window (whether by the'Geo Status' button on the (F2) Population & Production screen, or the button on the F3 'System Map' window).

Opening the (F3) 'System Map' throws an "Error in Show Minerals:  Run-time Error '13' - Type mismatch" but does not crash Aurora.  Opening the Ctrl-F7 'Technology Report' window generates "Error in PopulateActive:  Run-time Error '13' - Type Mismatch" but does not crash Aurora.  In fact, the windows open and appear to function normally.

I think I've checked all the other windows, and none of them show an error.  I have no idea if the error is a Linux/Wine problem, or if it's causing an otherwise-overlooked error to crash the game.
I definitely haven't modified the Geo Survey window between v4.8 and v4.9 or the ShowMinerals function and I don't think I have modified the F9 or Ctrl-F7 windows either so there is something weird going on. Have there been any updates to your OS recently?

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Ground force commanders are getting RIF'd when they are active duty.

I just had a Division HQ commander get surplussed out.

And there also seem to be "interesting" behaviors associated with auto-assign of ground force HQ officers - as in eligible officers seem to be there, but don't get assigned and the commands sit empty.

I suspect the following:  that auto-assign only looks at a single skill in the commanders when deciding if a commander is suitable or not, and that for ground HQ that trait is Ground Forces Training.  So an officer who has zero training but non-zero Ground Forces Combat rating is not assigned.

I have two suggestions to help here:

1)  Add a "secondary" trait for commands - for combat commands this would be the other of GFT/GFC.  For specialized ships (e.g. survey, factory, terraform, etc.) this would be Crew Training, and so on.  When ranking a commander for a command, officers without the primary but with the secondary train would also be considered.

2)  Add an optional game-info checkbox "Use all available officers to fill commands" (or something like this).  If checked, auto-assign would do a second pass after the first pass was done, assigning officers to eligible commands even if they don't have any skills for that command.  Presumably this would use a rank-ordering, so higher ranking officers would be assigned first.

John

Offline sluissa

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
My task groups don't seem to be increasing in their TF training percentage anymore.

I've let them train together for almost 6 months now and no increase at all.

I didn't notice this happening before 4.91. Granted, I didn't give 4.90 a large amount of play time aside from freighter cycle testing.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »
Created a pre-fab PDC to ship out to a colony. Construction project finished. Takes 107 components to move. My cargo fleet can ship 25 at a time. After 2 trips the components have all disappeared, and I cannot build the pre-fab on the colony.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
It looks like my military has decided to privatize its military bases:  :-)

"Nelson Shipping Alliance has launched a new Vallye Forge II class Planetary Barracks (Division)"

Planetary Barracks (Division) is the new hull type I made for my barracks - I'm not sure why the civies decided to buy one. I just checked, and the only components it has are PDC Barracks, Composite Armor, small crew, and a Bridge (and it's classified as a PDC).  I figured civies would only buy ships with holds, cryo-holds, or luxury quarters.

BTW - there's been a display bug for the last couple of releases on the Component Summary tab of the F5 screen - Crew Quarters - Small always seems to show up near the bottom of the screen.  I've been meaning to mention it for a while now....

John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 05:29:46 AM »
Quote from: "sluissa"
My task groups don't seem to be increasing in their TF training percentage anymore.

I didn't notice this happening before 4.91. Granted, I didn't give 4.90 a large amount of play time aside from freighter cycle testing.
Do you still have a task force commander as the training is based on his skills? Check the Ctrl-F4 Task Force window.

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:11 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I'm running Aurora on Ubuntu 9.10 through Wine.  It was working on 4.8x, but since upgrading to 4.90 (and now 4.91) I get a "Run-time Error '13' - Type Mismatch" and Aurora crashes whenever I attempt to load the (F9) 'System Information' window, or the 'Geological Survey Results' window (whether by the'Geo Status' button on the (F2) Population & Production screen, or the button on the F3 'System Map' window).

Opening the (F3) 'System Map' throws an "Error in Show Minerals:  Run-time Error '13' - Type mismatch" but does not crash Aurora.  Opening the Ctrl-F7 'Technology Report' window generates "Error in PopulateActive:  Run-time Error '13' - Type Mismatch" but does not crash Aurora.  In fact, the windows open and appear to function normally.

I think I've checked all the other windows, and none of them show an error.  I have no idea if the error is a Linux/Wine problem, or if it's causing an otherwise-overlooked error to crash the game.

I definitely haven't modified the Geo Survey window between v4.8 and v4.9 or the ShowMinerals function and I don't think I have modified the F9 or Ctrl-F7 windows either so there is something weird going on. Have there been any updates to your OS recently?

Steve

Further research has revealed something odd.  I started a new game (pre-TN, real stars, Earth) and all of the errors disappeared.  So I started a second game with my usual setting (pre-TN, random stars, SM race for random start system, create nebula for home system) and again, error free.  Then I deleted the SM race, set mine to default, and started setting up my (human) empire.  BOOM - the Type 13 mismatch errors were back.  So I don't think it was working properly under 4.82, but rather that I just didn't change default race and thus didn't encounter the error.

Also, looking at a Nebula system with the F9 'System Information' screen causes twelve "Error in cboSystems:  Error 381 was generated in MSFlexGrid - subscript out of range" messages.  Create nebula, load system, rename system - anytime a nebula system is loaded by the F9 window it generates the twelve error messages.

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
After the civilians bought their first cargo ship, every time the system map refreshes I'm now getting:
Code: [Select]
Error in ShowFleetList

Error 35602 was generated by Nodes
Key is not unique in collection

If it matters, I SM created another civ shipping line as the first one seemed to not want to do much. The very next turn after I created the second one, the first bought its freighter and started causing the issue.
This might not be civilian-related. Do you have two ships or two fleets with the same name?

Steve

I am pretty sure I do not, as I was not getting the error before the civvies bought their ship. But, I will double check when I get home tonight. Assuming that it is civ shipping lane related, is there something I can do to fix it myself?

Quote from: "sluissa"

Do you still have a task force commander as the training is based on his skills? Check the Ctrl-F4 Task Force window.

Steve

I've noticed this happening since 4.8 for me. The very first thing I do in every new game is to fill in the TF Staff positions. Does the TF commander have to have certain skills in order for the TGs to gain from training?
(@)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »

Steve

I am pretty sure I do not, as I was not getting the error before the civvies bought their ship. But, I will double check when I get home tonight. Assuming that it is civ shipping lane related, is there something I can do to fix it myself?

Hm, one thing came to my mind. Perhaps the civies named their frighter the same as you, i.e. if it is a Hauler class frighter, the civies will probably name it "Hauler 001", have you named your first Hauler class frighter the same?

Just guessing here.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
Further research has revealed something odd.  I started a new game (pre-TN, real stars, Earth) and all of the errors disappeared.  So I started a second game with my usual setting (pre-TN, random stars, SM race for random start system, create nebula for home system) and again, error free.  Then I deleted the SM race, set mine to default, and started setting up my (human) empire.  BOOM - the Type 13 mismatch errors were back.  So I don't think it was working properly under 4.82, but rather that I just didn't change default race and thus didn't encounter the error.

The problem there is that you deleted the SM race, which probably killed several important pointers in the system database. I don't know if Steve has anything in-place to handle that sort of situation currently.

--Mav

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »
I've noticed this happening since 4.8 for me. The very first thing I do in every new game is to fill in the TF Staff positions. Does the TF commander have to have certain skills in order for the TGs to gain from training?
Yes - his and his ops officer's (IIRC) Crew training ratings.  If they're both zero, I don't think you'll accrue any points (I had this happen to me once).  You can check the training value in the TF screen - it's one of the calculated windows like total logistics bonus.

John