Author Topic: Miscellaneous Balibar Questions  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
Re: Miscellaneous Balibar Questions
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
No overhead issues (other than if you make a ton of them, you might slow the game down :-)
After re-reading the Mechanics Forum thread on Geo Survey Teams, I am wondering whether these teams work on moons or asteroids.  There is no mention of using them anywhere other than planets.  I take it that you have tried a team on Luna.  Did it work?  Have you ever used a team on an asteroid?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »
Quote from: "Balibar"
No overhead issues (other than if you make a ton of them, you might slow the game down :-)
After re-reading the Mechanics Forum thread on Geo Survey Teams, I am wondering whether these teams work on moons or asteroids.  There is no mention of using them anywhere other than planets.  I take it that you have tried a team on Luna.  Did it work?  Have you ever used a team on an asteroid?

Steve has said they do IIRC, and I'm pretty sure I recently had one find something on an asteroid or comet.

John

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »
Steve has said they do IIRC, and I'm pretty sure I recently had one find something on an asteroid or comet.

John
Thanks!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
It's my understanding that any body that you can establish a colony on can be surveyed by a survey team.  Note that most bodies can have a colony established for automated mining but can't be populated with colonists.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
It's my understanding that any body that you can establish a colony on can be surveyed by a survey team.  Note that most bodies can have a colony established for automated mining but can't be populated with colonists.
I can confirm that the survey team works on Luna.  I am trying an Asteroid next.  Unfortunately I discovered that, somehow, I screwed up the game creation and Mars has a colony cost of 36 or something like that.  

Back to the drawing board.

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
I ran into some aliens.  There were 41 x 800 ton ships firing meson weapons.  Is this the Swarm?  If so, any advice on how to defeat them?  I am thinking I would need a very large number of missile ships to do so.  There speed was 4000.  Can they be kited with lasers or torpedoes?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
800t with meson sounds like swarm but 4k/kps doesn't.  At least not in my limited experience with them.  

Best bet for defeating them is being able to stay outside thier engagement range and salvo missiles.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
800t with meson sounds like swarm but 4k/kps doesn't.  At least not in my limited experience with them.  

Best bet for defeating them is being able to stay outside thier engagement range and salvo missiles.
Thanks!

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »
A question about missile loading.  I forgot to put in the ordinance in a design.  The design is locked.  I was able to manually load missiles into the ship.  Is there a way for me to change the default loadout for my ship so that I can use a group (fleet) order to load and it will happen automatically rather than me manually loading it from the ship screen?

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »
This question is about maintenance.  The post in the Rules forum seems out of date.  I understand that the military class ships have a ticking maintenance clock.  As the clock advances, breakdowns become more likely.  I believe the Engineering sections affect how quickly the clock advances, but also they contain maintenance supplies for doing immediate repairs.  You can trade maintenance supplies between ships in a fleet.  You can reload your maintenance supplies at a colony if it has maintenance supplies.  You can build maintenance supplies with your industrial output.  

Is this all correct?  

What happens with a ship overhaul?  It appears that the clock is rewound a bit each day in overhaul.  The costs were unclear to me.  Can you predict ahead of time how long the overhaul will take?  The other question I am completely unsure of is what happens to the crew and their training.  Do the crew remain with the ship?  Or does the trained crew go into the crew pool?  If they go into the crew pool, do they come out trained LIFO?  Or does their training just raise the average training of the pool?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »
A question about missile loading.  I forgot to put in the ordinance in a design.  The design is locked.  I was able to manually load missiles into the ship.  Is there a way for me to change the default loadout for my ship so that I can use a group (fleet) order to load and it will happen automatically rather than me manually loading it from the ship screen?

Have you tried to set a new default loadout? Because I´m pretty sure you don´t need to unlock a design to do this.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:09 AM »
This question is about maintenance.  The post in the Rules forum seems out of date.  I understand that the military class ships have a ticking maintenance clock.  As the clock advances, breakdowns become more likely.  I believe the Engineering sections affect how quickly the clock advances, but also they contain maintenance supplies for doing immediate repairs.  You can trade maintenance supplies between ships in a fleet.  You can reload your maintenance supplies at a colony if it has maintenance supplies.  You can build maintenance supplies with your industrial output.  

Is this all correct?  

Yes

What happens with a ship overhaul?  It appears that the clock is rewound a bit each day in overhaul.  The costs were unclear to me.  Can you predict ahead of time how long the overhaul will take?  The other question I am completely unsure of is what happens to the crew and their training.  Do the crew remain with the ship?  Or does the trained crew go into the crew pool?  If they go into the crew pool, do they come out trained LIFO?  Or does their training just raise the average training of the pool?

The Crew and training rating stay with the ship, otherwise, there would be no point in training a ship up.
Re. calculating how long an overhaul takes: You probably can.

The most relevant entry I could find is this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1537

According to this, to get rid of one year, you have to spend 3 months in overhaul.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
The Crew and training rating stay with the ship, otherwise, there would be no point in training a ship up.
Re. calculating how long an overhaul takes: You probably can.

The most relevant entry I could find is this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1537

According to this, to get rid of one year, you have to spend 3 months in overhaul.
Thanks for the info and that thread.  I will see how long my ship overhaul takes and see if the 3 month/year rule works.  I will try your suggestion on the missile loading tonight.  I had assumed that locked meant locked and I was looking for something on the ship window rather than the design window.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"

Is this all correct?  

Yes

Actually, I think it's "not quite".  The engineering sections don't affect how quickly the clock advances; instead they set the "base" rate of failures (as the clock advantage the rate of failures is some additional factor times this base rate).

John

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »
Actually, I think it's "not quite".  The engineering sections don't affect how quickly the clock advances; instead they set the "base" rate of failures (as the clock advantage the rate of failures is some additional factor times this base rate).

John
Thanks for the clarification.