Author Topic: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions  (Read 12794 times)

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
Re: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »
Actually, colliers are for coal.  Darn Weber to a fiery afterlife for perpetuating the idea that you call ammunition ships this.

I've actually been wondering where the collier = ammo thing came from.  :P

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2011, 08:36:32 AM »
Hrrm, the actual process of adding gas to the atmosphere in terraforming is pretty fast but... the process of heating up is SO SLOW HNNNG

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »
Hrrm, the actual process of adding gas to the atmosphere in terraforming is pretty fast but... the process of heating up is SO SLOW HNNNG

Pretty much what everyone thinks.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
Q39: So, I've been playing around with designing missiles (finally). My first one is an anti-missile missile, and here are it's specs:

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 6.5 MSP  (0.325 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 40
Speed: 11500 km/s    Endurance: 17 minutes   Range: 11.8m km
Cost Per Missile: 2.25
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 460%   3k km/s 120%   5k km/s 92%   10k km/s 46%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   5.8x Gallicite   Fuel x750

Development Cost for Project: 225RP

I think I did pretty good. Good to-hit chances (I think), and the speed also seems nice, but I'm not sure about the missile size. Aren't AMM's supposed to be pretty small? And, I'm not ACTUALLY really very sure about it's other stats, although they looked okay to me.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
It is pretty much useless an an antimissile or offensive missile
Antimissiles should be size 1 or the rof of the launcher will be too low and you will run out of antimissiles much faster than the enemy will run out of missiles
Also
too slow to be useful against any likely missiles
range is longer than you need.

It looks like you have absolute baseline technologies , at which point effective weapons are unlikely
Typically missiles will have a speed of 20k+ making your hit chance about 20% unless you fail to achieve an intercept at all as your missile is slower than the attacking missile

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
Heh, well shows what I know.

I'm not really taking this game very seriously anymore, just trying out random stuff. I suppose if I actually start playing and know what military tech I want to specialize in, then I will get a bit better tech. Also, my tech isn't too bad, I think, but my missile tech ISN'T as big as some of my other tech, and I've really no idea how far up the chain goes, and what the polar opposite of baseline really IS.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
Usually I'd say that it is not particularly effective trying to make anti-missiles until you have researched the first 2 levels in each missile tech (warhead 4, agility 48, missile engine 3, fuel efficency 0.8).

Using those you can make something like
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 23
Speed: 29100 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.1m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.0596
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 669.3%   3k km/s 207%   5k km/s 133.9%   10k km/s 66.9%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.5472x Gallicite   Fuel x12.25

Development Cost for Project: 106RP
which has about a 33% chance of catching a target moving at 20k and 22% of hiting a target moving at 30k.

You can manage to create anti-missiles of size 4 or so using lower level tech but they suffer from the much longer reload rate and the fact that you will be unable to carry very many of them.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »
Antimissiles should be size 1 or the rof of the launcher will be too low and you will run out of antimissiles much faster than the enemy will run out of missiles

I've found that PDC anti-missiles can be size-2 instead, since PDCs fire twice as rapidly and you don't need to tech up very far tp reach the maximum (1 launch per 5-sec increment) rate-of-fire. Also, PDC missiles can quickly draw extra stocks from the planet that they are located on, so magazine storage capacity is a minor issue.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »
'Quickly drawing from planetary stocks to re-ammunition your units' is generally considered an exploit, but it's one NPRs and Precursors use, so your mileage may vary.