Author Topic: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions  (Read 12880 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »
Oh dear. Now when I try to start it I get this:

Error in Form Load
Error 3343 was generated by DAO.Workspace
Unrecognized database format 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Aurora\Stevefire.mdb'
Please report to *snip*

And then I get an 'UpdateGameLog' error window that CAN'T be closed, unless I force restart.

It sounds like you ctrl-c'd out while it was working, and corrupted you database.  Try using your backup copy (you do have a backup copy, right? :) ).  There's an FAQ on save strategies if you aren't sure how to do it....

John

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
Yeah, I think I can just pull another copy up from Winrar... Ah yes, some zips and... crap...

Oh wait, nevermind.
5.50 does contain 5.53 though, right?
Edit: Nevermind, it does.

Q37. Anyways, if I choose not to let the game pick my starting technologies, how do I choose them? I have this little box that says 'Starting RP' but I see no 'instant' button or anything to let me utilize them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:25:05 PM by Repulsion »

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »
37. Turn on SM mode before opening the research window.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
Q38: For a fuel harvester, do you need cargo holds to hold the sorium in? Or...?

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2011, 08:56:47 PM »
No, it gets processed directly to fuel (so have lots of fuel tanks instead).

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 07:07:54 AM »
Does that not let you drop it off anywhere? Or are you simply just supposed to somehow make it a collier?

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »
A collier is for missiles. I'm not sure how that applies to fuel harvesters.  ???
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2011, 08:02:46 AM »
Er, I mean, those mobile resupply ships.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
You would send a tanker to your fleet of fuel harvester ships to bring the processed fuel back to one of your colonies.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »
Q38: I'm having some trouble in a lot of games stabilizing my mineral supply. I get a colony on Mars as soon as I can, but everything is so slow to build. I get civilian mining colonies on various moons/planets, but the mineral packets they send are so small, and their mining output is small as well. Is there anything I can do to help myself?

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
You just have to explore quickly and find a few bodies with good sources of minerals. I tend to count the total availability of all minerals on a body to determine if I want to put a mining colony there. For example, if there are 4 minerals on it in decent amounts with availabilities of .4 .8 .9 and .7, I'd add it all together and say it's 2.8, which is decent but not great. I try to look for bodies with a total of 3 or more and at least 100k of each mineral it has.

If a body is unsuitable for colonization, I use freighters to ship automated mines to it and put a civilian administrator with a good mining bonus in charge. If it is suitable, I ship some infrastructure to them and then a bunch of regular mines. I use mass drivers to send the mined minerals back to my homeworld, or just put a freighter on a cycle loop of picking up the minerals from my various mining bases. You don't need a ton on infrastructure on a new world for it to support enough civilians to be a valuable mining colony (a few hundred units will do), and your civilian shipping lines will bring more infrastructure to it automatically as trade goods to let it grow on its own.

Anyway, that's my approach. You may find another way works better for you.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:46:43 PM by HaliRyan »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
Q38: I'm having some trouble in a lot of games stabilizing my mineral supply. I get a colony on Mars as soon as I can, but everything is so slow to build. I get civilian mining colonies on various moons/planets, but the mineral packets they send are so small, and their mining output is small as well. Is there anything I can do to help myself?
If you havn't been increasing the mining tech then that would also help you.  its under the construction and production research tab.  It will also help somewhat to have upped the construction rate, but that will end up using more minerals as well.

Brian

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2011, 09:37:20 PM »

Use the "Geological Survey Report" (6th icon from the left on the system view menu bar).  Pick the minerals you're lowest on and make sure to create your mining colonies on the system bodies with the highest availability.  

I like to set at least 25% of my initial construction to making a couple hundred extra automated mines.  Then when I find a good location for mining, I always put at least 50 mines, 100 if possible on my automated colony.  Depending on the number of minerals and availability, you might want to put more than one mass driver there as well.  

Finally, every so often, make sure you check the mineral status on the colony every so often.  You might find a nice stockpile of minerals building up and a quick freighter trip can resupply Earth for a while.

Don't worry too much about the packets being small.  The mass drivers opt for a frequency over size strategy.  You might only get a few tons of minerals per packet, but you're getting packets every few days.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2011, 05:42:56 AM »
Also with the packets from the mass drivers they try to send an even amount of each available material.  If you put a minimum stock amount that is higher than what is currently there the mass driver will not count that mineral in the total.  So if there are all 11 minerals being mined but you only need 3 of them you can set it up so only those three are being sent.  This will get you almost four times as much of each mineral.  The rest will stay on the colony untill you change the minimum or send a freighter to pick it up specifically.

Brian

Offline Doug

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »
Quote from: Din182 link=topic=4126. msg40734#msg40734 date=1317731315
A collier is for missiles.  I'm not sure how that applies to fuel harvesters.   ???

Actually, colliers are for coal.  Darn Weber to a fiery afterlife for perpetuating the idea that you call ammunition ships this.