Author Topic: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread  (Read 66017 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »
5.60: I'm getting exactly two division by zero errors every five in-game days. Only possible cause I can think of is one of my planets which has been captured by star swarm and is spitting out ships like no tommorrow, At least I think that's what it's doing. I also have a few fleets that have been task force training for almost a year but without any increase in their rating (No they're not on 100%). For added bug report thoroughness, here's the database, relevant game is Starborn.

Could you post the exact error text and any title of the popup box. It will probbaly say something like "Divide by Zero Error in <FunctionName>"

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
My game creation window shows a dozen errors every time I regenerate a universe.  I click through them and seems to be no harm. 

Could you post the text from the error messages?

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
Got an annoying 'bug' with missiles.     It might not really be one, but it's so frustrating I think it is.   

Basically, I'm using some 25000km/s high agi AMMs to try and shoot down.    .    .     missiles.     Enemy ASMs are going 39000km/s.     Every 4th volley or so, my AMMs will miss COMPLETELY and end up futilely chasing the faster ASMs, resulting in a complete lack of interception, my ships getting hit by 16 ASMs and wasting 80~ AMMs.     Very easy to reproduce, since it's happened every fight for me.     

Edit: Also come across another odd bug.    "Boat Bay" and "Hanger Deck" are both missing from research.    I've checked every section, including "All Projects".    I worked around it by gifting it from another race after using "all research".   

Edit 2: The passive sensor range in the system view appears to be broken for DSTS.  It's far too small. 

I'm not sure that it is a bug that AMMs moving at 25k km/s don't always intercept ASM moving at 39k km/s. Partly because a slow missile hitting a fast missile is hard and partly because given the right increments, the fast missile will move past the slow missile without the slow missile being able to catch it.

Hangar deck tech requires you to already have boat bay or it won't be available. Boat Bay requires Trans-Newtonian Technology. If you already have them they wouldn't appear (could they have been assigned by randon starting research) and if you are researching boat bay on one planet is won't appear anywhere else.

Could you tell me the number of DSTS, your tech level for planetary sensors and the sensor signature of the target you are trying to detect.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
Error 48 was generated by Aurora
Error in loading DLL

I get past the first step in universe creation and then it decides to shoot this error at me, and no matter how many times I mash OK, it doesn't go away.       

This is running Windows 7 64-bit on version 5.  60

Edit: Eventually, after clicking VERY FAST for about a full minute, I got past the error and it told me world gen was complete.   

Edit 2: All the planets in my solar system, using the actual sol system setting, are unnamed.     They are Sol I-VIII, rather tha Mercury, Venus, Earth, ETC.     All the moons are unnamed as well.   

Sounds like a missing step somewhere in installation. I would uninstall and re-install. Read the installation instructions very carefully because this is more complex than modern install programs so it is possible to miss something.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v5.60 Startup bug
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »
Creating a game, 1000 systems, difficulty 90, 5 billion pop, 3 NPRs, no overhauls needed, jump gates, no political bonus, no inexperienced fleets are the only options changed.

When the NPRs were being generated an error 3201 came up. "You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'Tech Systems'

What were those star-forsaken NPRs doing?  :o

I've seen this a few times but I haven't pinned it down yet. I don't think it will cause any problems in the game. What I suspect is happening is that the automated NPR ship design is trying to create a ship component and the NPR doesn't have one of the pre-requisite techs. I thought I had ensured this shouldn't happen but obviously not :)

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
Rank 4 officers don't seem to add their crew training bonus for taskforce training.

They only add their bonus if they are a lower rank than the TF commander - is that the case here?

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
I noticed this too, but thought, because the turret tracking speed tech is in the energy weapon area, this is WAD (i.e. the gauss cannon is allready designed, you are now designing the turret that holds them, thus it is in the energy weapon field).

Yes, that's correct. The turret itself is an "energy weapons" tech.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
I set up a colony on a planet with ruins and established a xenologist team on it, which did its job of understanding the stuff. Afterward, I sent an engineer brigade and some armed forces. Eventually, robotic guards were awakened, 2 in a row, and my troops lost, all dead. I quit the program (it was a great time for a pause), and when I reopened it, the colony on that planet was gone.

That's probably working as intended. Eventually, I got an event relating to my xenologist team gaining skills (1% each of the 5 members), and that tipped me off. That team was left on the colony, and even if I reestablished it, the team is not there. And of course I have no idea how they got skills gain.

The bug is, when I look at the team members in the Leaders screen, they are still part of the team and their location is at a world I don't know about. I did not even explore that system, although maybe an NPR did. I can't see that system with only SM permission. Yet there my xenologists are. Is there a way to disband a team without using the Population&Production screen?

It looks like, when a colony is lost, the teams stationed on it are sent "somewhere".

My guess is that the colony isn't lost. It just belongs to someone else now due to it being captured by the robotic guards :). You should be able to send more forces to recapture it.  However, the team is probably still on that enemy colony and blithely carrying on its work. These scientists don't pay much attention to anything happening outside their immediate surroundings. You should be able to reassign individual members of the team to do something else, which effectively disbands the team.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
A little update. I set another colony on that planet, sent troops to fight and terraforming ships to work. My troops defeated the enemy and the (absent) population on their colony surrendered. Now I've got 2 colonies named "Palanhi-A V", both species "Human", while the new one having my xenologists team and the political status "Conquered". Its planetary governor was also already set, probably from my last presence.

One colony is set to terraform by adding CO2, the other by adding O2. Both gases get terraformed the full amount, effectively doubling the terraforming power of my ships.

It's the first time I mess around with multiple colonies on a single world. Is that normal/known? Because it sure looks like a bug. Maybe I could get 10 colonies and get 10 times the terraforming... yeah, cheating at solitaire, I know.

Yes, it is a bug. At the moment, each population looks at all terraformers in orbit. I have changed it for the next version so that populations only look at ships assigned to that population. Assignment to a population can be done manually on the ship window but will happen automatically for all ships in a fleet when you order that fleet to a population.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
The problem with that is that a team can be stuck on an asteroid for years and years. Wouldn't it be better if they have a higher chance of finding anything but also a higher chance of completing the survey? That way they could still be finding the same total amounts (on average) but in a little less time.

I agree the mechanic could be improved. I am wary about increasing the chance of finding something as I think geo teams may be a little overpowered at the moment. It would be easy enough to end the survey if the check didn't find anything but that would affect planets and moons as well as asteroids and reduce the overall chance. Perhaps one option may be that when a team completes a cycle it looks for a mineral and if it doesn't find it, that is a survey complete result. If it does find something, it continues to cycle around the checking code, looking for more minerals. As soon as the check fails, that is survey complete. This means every body will only every go through one cycle but you may find more than one mineral type at once, or you might not find anything.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2012, 01:46:45 PM »
Oh, almost forgot, the 3 unidentified wrecks in the black hole system haven't budged.

I suspect the wrecks were generated along with the system. I've fixed the system generation code to make sure that doesn't happen in future.

Also I've added some code so that destroyed ships in black hole systems don't leave wrecks (to avoid the whole 'tracking wrecks as they fall to their doom' issue).

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
So apparently not having any fuel doesn't prevent a ships engines from counteracting the pull of a black hole, even when technically it has spent the last 2 and a half years inside the black hole, due to the previous warping incident. 

I've added some code to account for running out of fuel in black hole systems.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »
- When giving a medal twice to an officer (He made a feat twice, I felt like giving him another), I get an error 3022 by DAO.  recordset, it says because "it would create a duplicated value in the index".   The medal appears in the officer history as awarded, but no promotion points are added for the second (and third, and ufrther) medals.  

I have fixed this for the next version so you can make multiple awards of the same medal to the same officer. Each one will count separately for promotion points.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
- When giving a move order to a ship without engine, it spams an error without consequences, and leaves the orther there, instead of a warning about that it cannot move. 

In the next version, you are unable to give orders to a task group with a speed of 1 or less. If you try, you get a popup message stating "You cannot give movement orders to a task group with a maximum speed of 1 or less".

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
In the next version, you are unable to give orders to a task group with a speed of 1 or less. If you try, you get a popup message stating "You cannot give movement orders to a task group with a maximum speed of 1 or less".

So this means my engine-less picket stations will be unable to transit to the far side of a jump point on their own?  That will be a bit of a pain....

John