Author Topic: Official v6.10 Bugs Thread  (Read 53083 times)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Official v6.10 Bugs Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:02 AM »
Alright I changed the name to something shorter and the problem went away.  I will try a few more times opening and closing things and see if it stays away.

ADDED IN EDIT:

I have checked a bit more in detail.  The problem comes if the name is longer than the window that has the list of squadron names can display.  By making the squadron name shorter than that the problem has gone away.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:44:04 AM by Paul M »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »
Alright I changed the name to something shorter and the problem went away.  I will try a few more times opening and closing things and see if it stays away.

From the behavior you've described, it sounds like Steve didn't put enough characters in the max size for the entry in the DB - at least that's what the error seemed to be saying was going on (and we've had problems of that sort in the past).  I assume the weird behavior you were seeing (where you were getting the wrong squadron selected) was due to a problem in the error recovery code when the DB complained.

STEVE - Is there a way to programmatically limit the size of the text boxes in the dialogs used to set names to the sizes of the corresponding DB fields?  That idiom might be a general fix for this problem - if the user isn't able to type any more characters in the box they'll notice their name is too long....

John

Offline coyote

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • c
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2013, 02:12:16 AM »
Assigning naval officers to fighters and leaving them there for a 24-month tour of duty seems to increase their Fighter Combat Bonus and promotion score to completely ridiculous levels.    After one tour of duty, one of my officers had a Fighter Combat Bonus rating of 800%, and a promotion score of 161,989.    Every other officer who has spent time in a fighter command has ended up with similarly inflated numbers. 

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2013, 03:00:46 AM »
====Possible Bug 1=====
I don't know if this is a bug or not but during the last battle I got four times the same event.

9 pt warhead strikes 4500 tonne ship with shield strength of 6.
Shield is reduced to 3.  3 points of damage are done to armour.  No internal hits.

Somehow 3 pts of damage was not applied to the shield, its strength didn't go to 0 but only to 3.

When the 9 pt warhead strikes the 9000 tonnne ship with shield strength of 9 the shield is reduced to 0.  In that case it seemed to work as expected.

====Possible Bug 2====

Ship signature 179 jumps into a mine field and mines don't trigger.  Mine stage 1 has active sensors (resolution 60 range 230 000 km) and seperation distance set to 150 000 km.  Mines deployed at 4 points 90° apart on a ring 100 000 km from jump point.  Target ship jumped in ~24 000 km from the jump point.  Target ship has ECM strength 50.  Mines had been deployed by using the "launch at waypoint" command.

Not sure if this is a bug or not.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #244 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
On my laptop where I just moved the files from my main computer to the laptop rather than re-installing I am getting the following error when I click on the system details button (the sun symbol):

Error in LaunchSystemWindow
Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered.
You need the following file to be installed on your machine MSSTDFMT.DLL

Anyone know where I can get this dll?  Or even what it for?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
On my laptop where I just moved the files from my main computer to the laptop rather than re-installing I am getting the following error when I click on the system details button (the sun symbol):

Error in LaunchSystemWindow
Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered.
You need the following file to be installed on your machine MSSTDFMT.DLL

Anyone know where I can get this dll?  Or even what it for?

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2031.0.html Second post. :)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #246 on: December 19, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Thanks Eric, just for information the two links in that post can't be displayed.  I think they point at non-existent web pages right now.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #247 on: December 19, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
Try here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1715.msg21036.html#msg21036

The links in the other are from a very old iteration of the boards.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
Ok I downloaded the .dll and put it in the aurora folder...but that didn't work.  So I tried that shutdown program (installed and immediately uninstalled) and that fixed it.

Thanks to everyone involved in this over the last years...

I am running Windows 8 on my laptop so this is not just a windows 7 issue.  It wasn't an issue with my Vista Home Premium tower but I also have Office installed on that machine.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Ok I downloaded the .dll and put it in the aurora folder...but that didn't work.  So I tried that shutdown program (installed and immediately uninstalled) and that fixed it.

Thanks to everyone involved in this over the last years...

I am running Windows 8 on my laptop so this is not just a windows 7 issue.  It wasn't an issue with my Vista Home Premium tower but I also have Office installed on that machine.

The MS Standard Format .dll (MSSTDFMT.DLL) was dropped from Windows installs on all MS OS's after Vista.  It's an older protocol that VB6 needs though.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
Thanks Charlie...at least I know what the stupid thing is now!

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2014, 04:50:31 AM »
I'm not sure this is exactly a bug but it is certainly something that is a tad odd.

When I look at the signature (thermal and EM) from a CMC complex it is 5.  This value is independent on the number of CMCs present.  It is also not related to the fact that each CMC is 10 automines plus there is a functional mass driver in orbit.  When I look at my government run mine with 10 automines and a mass driver I see a signature of 55 (thermal and EM).

So a civillian mining colony with 19 CMCs should have 19*10*5+5=955 signature.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2014, 02:19:19 AM »
I have encountered another bug that is related to player actions.

I had a geosurvey team on a moon.  They had completed their survey.  I gave the ship in orbit the order to pick them up and move to the next moon and drop them off.

I then abandoned the colony on the moon.

When I ran the turn I got a 2430 (not absolutely sure it was this but 24x0 for certain) error.  The team had been moved to my capitol and I had to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to stop the looping error.  The ships orders borked up as well.  After stopping the error loop I recovered by the SM tool but I don't see why abandoning a non-existant colony should affect a team present on the moon.  I don't really understand why landing a geosurvey team makes a planet/moon/asteroid automatically a colony though.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
 I don't really understand why landing a geosurvey team makes a planet/moon/asteroid automatically a colony though.

The answer is a computer science one.  Basically, the way Steve wrote the code, the scientists/team have to be somewhere, i.e. in a "location".  A ship is a location, a colony is a location, but a planet is not a location.  So when you killed the colony you killed the bucket that held the team and the program didn't know where to go.  I different way to think about it is that Steve misnamed "colony" - he should have called it "planetary location".  In order to put something on a planet you have to create a planetary location.  If you delete the planetary location while something's still in it, bad things happen - either the stuff (like factories) goes away, or it goes into limbo.

The bug here is that Steve isn't preventing operator error.  The fix would be something analogous to what windows does if you try to rename a word doc that you're in the middle of editing - it says "can't move while the file is open" and refuses to do what you just told it.  Similarly, Steve could put in a check that you don't have any teams on the colony when you try to kill it.  The problem with that is that his likely to miss something else that will have the same effect (like "move to" orders in a ship) and then we'll get the same errors.

John

PS - I just reread your post.  The answer to "why landing a team ..." creates a colony on the moon was that it was an enhancement that people requested.  In the old days you had to create a colony by hand before giving orders to land a team on a body - the computer would do the check " is there a colony present" and refuse if there wasn't.  This was a pain in the butt, so Steve set it up so that a "land" order would automatically create a colony under the covers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:41:33 AM by sloanjh »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:40 AM »
John,
Ok, now I understand.  I didn't think it was necessary to worry about the timing of the abandon colony command as there was no colony there just the team.  I'll remember it for the future.  As you explain the situation I also now understand why the object becomes a colony.  Thank you very much for the explaination.