Author Topic: Official v6.20 Bugs Thread  (Read 65780 times)

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Official v6.20 Bugs Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2012, 07:46:15 AM »
When creating a new species in the create research project window I get the error
'Unnable to design new species without species name technology'

I have all the genetics research techs to change temperature , oxygen etc. I have some genetic modification centers

The only odd point is that the empire creating the new race has no actual population at all, however it has a base species of Human

Please ignore as it turns out that if you add a population of your baseline humans you can create new races. Should have tested that before posting
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:48:39 AM by Andrew »

Offline viperfan7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • v
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
Just got a new laptop, its running windows 8, for some reason even though the resolution is higher then the minimum require (1920x1080), its cutting off the bottom of most windows, I didn't have this issue with a netbook connected to a monitor of the same resolution with the same OS, anyone else have this issue?

Never mind, turns out lenovo had the default settings for sizes at 125%, leaving this here incase anyone else has this issue
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:53:08 PM by viperfan7 »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »
*****************************Spoiler Alert************************************************

There is a minor bug with plasma torpedo's.  When designing a ship with them they do not register as missile launchers.  You need missile fire control to target them, but as they don't register as a missile you get an error message which also means you can't lock the design in.  I have been getting around this by building a size 1 box launcher in the ship which is fine for large ships.  If you want to mount them on a small ship however the space is sorely missed.

This has been present in the last couple of updates (I think from 5.6 at least) and is not a new issue.  I just kept forgetting to post it.

Edit:
I just tried to fire a plasma torpedo at a test target.  A size 4 plasma torp ran out of fuel as soon as it was launched.  The target was at 100k km while the torpedo had a range of 800k km.  This is odd as they have worked in previous versions.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:27:12 PM by Brian »

Offline Stephan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
I just tried to fire a plasma torpedo at a test target.  A size 4 plasma torp ran out of fuel as soon as it was launched.  The target was at 100k km while the torpedo had a range of 800k km.  This is odd as they have worked in previous versions.

Brian
I had this same problem the plasma torp ran out of endurance and exploded in the 5sec increment after firing without moving towards the target
I'm using 6.21

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
On the subject of spoiler errors I believe that wormholes don't close when they disappear, and that ships may still use them. These ships are about 200M km apart, and they appeared around the same game tick. I think that there was infact a wormhole down where the southmost group spawned, but it "disappeared". This contributes to spoilers being more dangerous than they otherwise would be(in terms of ship counts, and being able to appear in unexpected places), though the latest change to how they work has somewhat nerfed them in my opinion.

And on the subject of combat, while not technically an error, npr ships that are out of ammunition can still force 5 second increments by attempting to fire(players can do this as well, but we get an error message). I've seen anti-missile ships attempt to do this when I've targetted them with missiles of my own, only to have the 5 second increment problem go away when the missiles targeted on the ship hit it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:38:28 PM by Nathan_ »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
I've been investigating a lot of interrupts in my own game. It appears that precursor minefields have been setup in systems that don't show up if you look at the precursor map. Not only that, but these mines don't seem to be detected by player ships in those systems yet are causing hostile contact detection interrupts. So, as precursor minefields are not a significant part of the game and even if they were working perfectly would still result in a lot of interrupts, I have removed them from v6.30. I think this will cut out a lot of shortened increments in the game.

If you want to fix this in current games, you can go into the MissileSalvo table in the database and delete Captor Mine records that relate to the Precursor RaceID. If you have no idea what I just said, don't try it :)

EDIT: This has resulted in a dramatic improvement in my game in terms of a lack of interrupts.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:26:21 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
I've been investigating a lot of interrupts in my own game. It appears that precursor minefields have been setup in systems that don't show up if you look at the precursor map. Not only that, but these mines don't seem to be detected by player ships in those systems yet are causing hostile contact detection interrupts. So, as precursor minefields are not a significant part of the game and even if they were working perfectly would still result in a lot of interrupts, I have removed them from v6.30. I think this will cut out a lot of shortened increments in the game.

I think that I have been noticing these actually. I think I even managed to see a precursor reset a minefield that I destroyed, but I have to leave a sensor unit in the area of the mines for a tick before they are detected.

[edit]
looks like they work.
[/edit]

There is one problem though, precursors are turned off for this game. They could be an NPR minefield, but I've had other games with precursors on and NPRs off and have seen these.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:24:20 AM by Nathan_ »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
I noticed in the log after a missile attack that "Max Tracking time bonus versus Missiles" don't seem to work or at least are not displayed or included in the numbers of the log.

In this instance I have a race that researched the 20% tracking bonus tech.

As an example, the log told me that my beam weapon had a hit rate of 111% after crew grade was calculated and 56% after tracking speed was added. The missile in question had 23600km/s in speed and the tracking speed of the gauss cannon turret and fire-control is both 12000km/s. which gives me a 56% chance to hit. But I also should have had an 18% bonus to my tracking speed and so I was expecting my hit chance to have been closer to 67%.

Perhaps there is something that I don't know about how this works, but it seems as if something is not right.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
Another thing that I noticed since I probed the logs this time was that armour as fractions of a whole integer does not seem to be applied, at least not below one.

Of 60 missiles in the first batch only four managed to get past the screen of Railguns and Gauss guns. These missiles had an armour rating of 0.4 and not a singe missile were protected by its armour although it should have a decent chance at 33% chance per gauss cannon shot to be stopped. 1/1.4 = 71.43% chance to destroy the missile and about 30% chance to survive since a Gauss cannon only have 1 point of damage.

The next batch of 60 missiles had an armour value of 2 and managed to get 27 missiles through the same PD defence screen and here I could see armour stopping many hits.

So please look into this if we are suppose to be able to use other than whole numbers of armour on missiles.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:39:16 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »

If you want to fix this in current games, you can go into the MissileSalvo table in the database and delete Captor Mine records that relate to the Precursor RaceID. If you have no idea what I just said, don't try it :)

EDIT: This has resulted in a dramatic improvement in my game in terms of a lack of interrupts.

Steve

I'm about to start a massive multi-faction game in 6.21. Should I be worried or do these interruptions only show up in a system once it has been found by player or NPR? Should I create a new game without Precursors - as they are currently turned on? Or is it better to wait for 6.3 before starting? Or should I beg for Designer password and fix this myself?

Offline FreddeX

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • F
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:53 AM »
This is my first time posting on this forum so i am sorry if i post this message in the wrong place, but every time i try to add an task in the "manage shipyard" screen this message shows up:

"Error in cmdTask

Error 381 was generated by Aurora
Invalid property array index
Please report to (addres to the bugs forum)"

Just in case it is related to the bug, I downloaded version 5. 54, followed by version 6. 20 and 6. 21.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
Presume this is not a bug but maybee a design flaw, several of my ships is overcrowded and are suffering malfunctions to crew areas... I started with pre generated ressearch and ships and several of those designs is having that problem... ???

Why cant I place more crew areas in designing my ships?
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:13 AM »
Presume this is not a bug but maybee a design flaw, several of my ships is overcrowded and are suffering malfunctions to crew areas... I started with pre generated ressearch and ships and several of those designs is having that problem... ???

Why cant I place more crew areas in designing my ships?

you have to check the "keep excess Q" tag on the upper right to do this
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline se5a

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2013, 05:09:05 AM »
on a somewhat related note, if you copy a carrier, it looses the extra CQ. the 'keep excess ' check does not carry over to the copy.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »
Not sure if this is a spoiler so don't look under if you want it to bee a secret error in setup Pirates error 3201 and something about a Race??

In the same game I noticed that my cargo carriers are having different fuel consumption, they are the same type of cargo ships...  ??? Experience??
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:07:44 AM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...