Author Topic: Official v6.20 Bugs Thread  (Read 65736 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Official v6.20 Bugs Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »
Playing Aurora 6. 21.   22 years in I defeat a major fleet in Procyon resulting in 14 enemy ships wrecked.   I send my salvage ships to clean and up and end up with loads of Ship components and tech data ;D.   

I send the ship components back in freighters, but the tech data does not arrive on earth until the salvage ships return.   Between the time I salvaged a wreck and got 800 RP toward ECM-1 and the salvage ship returns to earth, my scientist complete research on salvage 1, aided in part by the ship components brought by the freighters as they were recovered.   

When the salvage ship got to earth and tried to download the 800 RP on ECM-1, Aurora deleted my colony on Earth (my capital, home to 850 million people, nearly all of my industrial capacity, research capacity and ship yards) :o.   This happened yesterday afternoon after a long weekend of play (approximately 2 years of game time since my last back up).

I made a copy of the stevefire file and tried to set earth back up, but all of my ongoing research and researchers have disappeared.

The ship should automatically download the tech as soon as it entered the Sol system (or any system with research labs) - is that what happened in this case?

Steve

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
SystemBodyCheck is used by ships that have default orders to carry out geological surveys. It shouldn't be affected by the date. If you have any ships with those type of orders, trying clearing the orders and see if that fixes the immediate problem. After that we can try to figure out the reason the error is occuring.

Steve

Thanks for your swift response Steve.
Neither of the two player factions have any fleet with default orders to carry out geological surveys. However there are 1 - 3 NPRs which have spawned others/Star Swarm etc as there have been the occasional slow down due to NPR combat. (I do not have the new designer password). Invaders are off.
I have gone back to a previous save but whenever I get to 4th October the fault re-occurs.
Thanks
Ian

Edit.
I did have a geology team and loaded them on a freighter. That did not cure the problem, that remained, but the effect on the game log was interesting, see attached.

Second Edit
I reran the game from 24th September to the error. No NPR or player race has any geosurvey ships operating, the player races had no geo teams operating either. The system screen shows the date of 4th October 2062 21:25 and the Event log 9th October 2062 21:25.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:23:34 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »
When the salvage ship got to earth and tried to download the 800 RP on ECM-1, Aurora deleted my colony on Earth (my capital, home to 850 million people, nearly all of my industrial capacity, research capacity and ship yards) :o.   This happened yesterday afternoon after a long weekend of play (approximately 2 years of game time since my last back up).

This problem (tech downloads/discoveries deleting the colony) has been around for years.  I was under the impression Steve has squashed it, but it sounds like it's still there.  I know it doesn't do you any good at this point, but for the benefit of all:

Always always always back up just before a ship with tech data enters a system with research labs, OR before disassembling components for tech info.  My recollection of the dissassembly problem is that if it results in completing a project that you're currently working on, bad things happen.  So in addition, IIRC it's best to cancel all research projects (in the relevant fields at least) before disassembling, then restart them afterwards.

John

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »
The ship should automatically download the tech as soon as it entered the Sol system (or any system with research labs) - is that what happened in this case?

Steve

Yes the tech data downloaded as the ship jumped into the Sol system, and when I went to check on my research progress at the end of the 5-day period, I discovered that Earth was gone.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »
Yes the tech data downloaded as the ship jumped into the Sol system, and when I went to check on my research progress at the end of the 5-day period, I discovered that Earth was gone.

On the bright side:  Aurora IS supposed to generated interesting SF story backgrounds?  What could be better than Earth (or the Nantucket colony) getting disintegrated or swapped with another dimension's version? :)

John

Offline Execrated1

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
I just had an issue with robotic defenders. I had attacked and destroyed them on the 25th of April, and then on the 30th of April my game went into an error loop.

Code: [Select]
30th April 85 10:34:16,SA,Sol,General ground attack on Europa. No defending units are present and no garrisoned enemy PDCs remain in operation. The Precursors ground forces on Europa have been destroyed
30th April 85 10:34:16,SM Only,System 0,Error in GroundCombat
Error 3167 was generated by DAO.Field
Record is deleted.
Please report to http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,11.0.html
Error 3020 was generated by DAO.Field
Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit.
Record is deleted.
Error 3061 was generated by DAO.Database
Too few parameters. Expected 2.
Error 3420 was generated by DAO.Recordset
Object invalid or no longer set.
Record is deleted.
Record is deleted.
Record is deleted.
Record is deleted.
Record is deleted.

By force closing the game and then restarting it I was able to get the errors to stop. I didn't lose my ground troops or anything I just had the errors popping up. I'll update if I find that the issue has actually harmed anything.

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
Error in SetupDefenders...
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »
A new JP was found; I open the System Generation and Display windows, select the new unexplored JP, click the button Enter/Explore and the error message is generated:

Code: [Select]
Error in SetupDefenders
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
Please report...

I click Ok in the error message, no other errors messages came out and the new explored system appear... All seems ok for the moment

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
Aurora v6.21, using either Windows XP or Windows 8-64.

20 years into game I just got

"Error in System Body Check
Error 3464 was generated by DOA.Database
Please report etc"

When cancelled it was followed by many repeats of

"Error in System Body Check
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
Please report etc"

This locks up Aurora and have to use Task Manager to close it. 

Anyone got any idea on how to fix it? I can only access database.
If not will have to abandon latest fiction project.

Checked out all player races and NPRs no one is running any geological survey except a player race has a survey team out of Sol. I restarted from a save two saves away from the original fault. I pushed the generation of the fault back two days to 6th October 2062 and it then repeated the error. The only survey related activity was the Survey team in Herschel 5173 which just got an increase in survey/Geology bonus.  Any ideas welcome.
Ian
IanD

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2013, 02:43:35 AM »
Not really a "bug" but the description under energy weapons, Laser Wavelength Technology is wrong.  It states that range increases with wavelength, but IR lasers are longer wavelength than visible light lasers.

The word wavelength should be replaced by frequency.

I would actually suggest, for realism sake, that the two chains have reversed effect.  The larger the focus the longer the range, the higher the frequency the greater the damage.  That more properly reflects the physical situation.  I know "Fusion, Fire and Steel" the traveller tech book had a nice section on laser range dependancies with focal strength so that would be worth looking at.  From my understanding of the way lasers operate you should need larger focal arrays to fire the beam longer distances and you can pack more power in each pulse with shorter wavelength higher frequency lasers.

Offline ArchRylen

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
Bugs for two different games, with saves available if you can tell me where to put them.

1) A 3201 error in IndustrialProjects because of something an NPR is doing with missiles.  I have a screenshot of the error.  It occurred a few times before I backed things up so I expect it will happen again if the game is run forward.

2) I have a system with the moons in the wrong places.  An NPR was genned in a 3 star system, with the two outer stars orbiting at a considerable distance.  The innermost star has several planets with moons, according to the System View display and lists them correctly (i. e.  Haen A-III Moon 1).  The Task Group Orders lists them with the correct primary but names them wrong.  (Haen A-III has Haen B-III Moon 1. ) Any attempt to reach the mislabeled moon involves heading outsystem.  The system map has the moons in the outer system, but trying to zoom in on them triggers an Error 5, Error in DisplaySystemBodies.

Thanks.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »
Error 3420 was generated By DAO. Database
Object invalid or no longer set
6.2 error

Offline stamasd

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »
Error in CheckCrewMorale
Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Field
No current record

followed by
Error in CheckCrewMorale
Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Recordset
No current record

Repeat ad infinum.  The game is a new one, conventional start, 5 powers in one system, and I think one NPR.

I can confirm this. I get this error in a fresh install of 6.21, conventional start with no ICBM bases, one starting nation. Showstopper.

Offline Execrated1

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
So I decided to prefab a PDC on Earth and move it to a colony a system away. When I went to assemble it, I needed minerals I didn't have on that world. So I set a freighter to carrying them and cancelled the assembly until they got there. Well, my prefab PDC parts have now disappeared. Which isn't a big deal but it sucks. So yea, that's the bug. Cancelling an assemble PDC job, even when it hasn't begun, causes the PDC components to disappear from my stockpile.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
In every 6.0, 6.1 and 6.21 game I have played so far there is the inevitable
"Error in CreateCommanderName
Error 3159 was generated by DOA.Recordset
not a valid bookmark
Please report etc."

Not a game breaker and appears to be an NPR problem, OK it and the game coniues apparently without problems.
IanD

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
Using 'Unassign All' in the Commanders screen will strip scientistsout of research projects, necessitating manual project cancellation and re-setup.