Author Topic: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition  (Read 74421 times)

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
Re: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2022, 09:21:24 AM »
Yes, use SM mode to add a few jump points.

Thank you!
I spent several years in this match, already, so I would be sorry to leave it.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2022, 05:47:20 PM »
I am facing another issue!
I have two fuel harvesters, designated also as tankers, that by mistake I sent to a wrong destination and they went out of fuel.
So, I sent a full tanker to them, and cancel every standing orders for both the fleets.
I order to the harvesters to refuel from the stationary tanker.
The events say that harvesters fleet has completed the order, but it is not: nothing happens.
I tried to join the tanker to the harvesters fleet and refuel them, but again nothing.
Attached, the specifications of these ship types.
With other types of ships (geo and grav survey ships), refuelling succeeded.
Which is the mistake?
Thank you of your help!

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2022, 08:49:50 PM »
I have two fuel harvesters, designated also as tankers, that by mistake I sent to a wrong destination and they went out of fuel.
So, I sent a full tanker to them, and cancel every standing orders for both the fleets.
The events say that harvesters fleet has completed the order, but it is not: nothing happens.
I tried to join the tanker to the harvesters fleet and refuel them, but again nothing.
Which is the mistake?
Thank you of your help!

I'm not quite sure what the issue is, I've never actually ran out of fuel on my fleets as I tend to eaayyyyyy overdo the fuel supply. I would suggest using the SM to partial refuel them, enough to give them a couple days worth, and see if they follow orders properly then. It could be an issue of them not actually being close enough to transfer or something.

That being said, however, I would consider switching to commercial engines for at least the harvesters. You don't necessarily need to get to the harvest point quick and you would save a lot of fuel cost - thereby massively increasing range - while also not having to worry about maintenance. My fuel harvesters tend to either be stationary platforms that I collect every few months on a cycle, or slow moving behemoths that succc gas giants dry.

Edit: Doubling down on the suggestion of switching engines. I don't know how far away the harvest point is from your planet, but with only 96 days of fuel at 1m liters you're likely burning a massive part of your harvest just getting there and back. You have enough harvesters for a year long operation, but how much of that is lost just transferring it back to the colony? Ideally you would spend an extra week, or even a couple months, getting there but save basically all of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:56:03 PM by ranger044 »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2022, 12:00:47 AM »
Which is the mistake?
Thank you of your help!

Paolot, you should be posting questions here, Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11545.0

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2022, 08:16:36 AM »
Trying to completely survey Sol. ...A 100+ year mission and 7qm (that is quadrillion) of travel.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2022, 11:34:20 AM »
Trying to completely survey Sol. ...A 100+ year mission and 7qm (that is quadrillion) of travel.

Isn't that 7 trillion? Not quadrillion.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »

Isn't that 7 trillion? Not quadrillion.
=7 quadrilion meters ;)

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
or a smidge over 400 quindecillion planck lengths.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, skoormit

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2022, 01:19:52 AM »
or a smidge over 400 quindecillion planck lengths.
..and in the underlying continuum that is practically an infinity of extremely high cardinality!

Offline Doc

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2022, 10:27:11 PM »
My empire just got wrecked, is what’s going on in my empire.  Some aliens I never even got a good look at pranced into Sol, stopped by the moon to kill everything in orbit, then visited earth and did the same.  I’ve been playing this game for a good while, never had that happen.  Not once in probably 3 years has an alien entered the Sol system.  I realize it was my fault for not preparing, but I’d never even seen it happen.  Is it normal for aliens to visit Sol and eat you after a century or so?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2022, 12:16:38 AM »
My empire just got wrecked, is what’s going on in my empire.  Some aliens I never even got a good look at pranced into Sol, stopped by the moon to kill everything in orbit, then visited earth and did the same.  I’ve been playing this game for a good while, never had that happen.  Not once in probably 3 years has an alien entered the Sol system.  I realize it was my fault for not preparing, but I’d never even seen it happen.  Is it normal for aliens to visit Sol and eat you after a century or so?

Possibly new spoiler race. Do you play on the last version, 2.1.0? There was a bug on previous versions that caused them to basically spawn right from the start of the game.

Offline Doc

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2022, 08:23:51 AM »
Quote from: Black link=topic=11100. msg161818#msg161818 date=1661922998
Quote from: Doc link=topic=11100. msg161817#msg161817 date=1661916431
My empire just got wrecked, is what’s going on in my empire.   Some aliens I never even got a good look at pranced into Sol, stopped by the moon to kill everything in orbit, then visited earth and did the same.   I’ve been playing this game for a good while, never had that happen.   Not once in probably 3 years has an alien entered the Sol system.   I realize it was my fault for not preparing, but I’d never even seen it happen.   Is it normal for aliens to visit Sol and eat you after a century or so?

Possibly new spoiler race.  Do you play on the last version, 2. 1. 0? There was a bug on previous versions that caused them to basically spawn right from the start of the game.

I did play on the new version, but I had been playing for a while turtling in the Sol system.  Perhaps it was these raiders I've been reading about on the forums today.  I didn't realize I should be expecting visitors, but honestly I like it! Means I have to pay close attention to my defenses from the start.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2022, 07:44:20 PM »
I've had Earth wiped out by spoilers and NPRs in the past - if the RNG hates you, it is very much possible to have them spawn at a strength level that you cannot defeat if you haven't really built up your forces.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2022, 12:18:49 AM »
My two player races just bumped into each other for the first time! This is my first multi-player-race game and I had them start in different systems, so I'm really excited they finally connected. It's only 2035 in game, so earlier than I'd feared. I am playing at 100% research but using the reduced lab admin option, which I'm quite liking! As a side note, I may play my next game at more like 80% research with reduced lab admin, as I suspect the sweet spot for me is somewhere around there.

• For the Agothans (squid-like creatures), it's the first alien race they've run into that didn't immediately try to kill them, so kind of a big deal. Also, this alien civ established a stable JP in this newly discovered system, which the Agothans have only done for themselves fairly close to Agoth to support colonization. They're now mulling over those implications, because they found a Human asteroid mining colony only four jumps from Agoth. They're not panicked quite yet, and will reserve judgement until they figure out how far away the alien home world and any related colonies really are. Maybe space, like their home ocean, is big enough to share? There aren't any super-valuable systems between them and this new alien civ's outpost, so they're not too concerned about setting a border somewhere in there, as long as it provides some defensive depth. They're also excited to learn they're not alone in what has so far been a very hostile universe.
  • For the humans, it's their third neutral alien culture, and they're now trading partners with the first two, so normally it would be just another day... Except the "Squids" showed up next to the largest single off-planet mining operation in Palestro, the system right freaking next to Sol. Hence the Humans too are a little uneasy about the ramifications on this recent encounter. The humans already have one alien civ immediately living in a system adjacent to Sol with not one but TWO beautifully habitable systems, which they've been eying with envy despite trading with them. It's possible they may become friendly with the Agothans hoping that later they can team up to conquer that adjacent civ, in exchange for a favorable negotiation of border systems ownership. Or they may play it more standoffish, we'll see.

Both have successfully fended off Raiders and then had a large part of their fleets beat to smeg by another spoiler I won't mention, so neither has much of a navy atm.
  • The Agothans are focusing on carriers with 10cm railgun fighters and a few particle beam FACs for kiting, plus heavily armored and fast 4kton boarding ships for anything worth stealing, e.g. 8 Raider destroyers so far.
  • The humans are focusing on missiles and large caliber lasers, with the intent to go heavy on ECM/ECCM and shields as well.

In the long run I'm considering having them team up for a bit to divide the universe then have a falling out, because no one hates each other like allies who feel betrayed. On the other hand, perhaps they will have a long simmering England/France relationship. TBD. I'm going to stop for the night and think through how they would each react in this situation in the short term before playing any further.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:20:32 AM by nakorkren »

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Viridia, Warer, StarshipCactus

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2022, 09:08:16 AM »
Still on day one in my current game. Struggling to settle on a starting situation as I continue to flesh out the backstory. So far, my empire has been a united Earth, a alt-history modern day split between multiple player races, and has also been an enslaved colony of a superior alien race. Narrative writing is fun, but boy is it tedious  :P