Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 92841 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2021, 01:54:25 AM »
While dropping some troops from orbit on a planet with Rakhas I got an error message popup: "Function #11: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. " The game then created a new race of Civilians with my race picture and a diplomacy rating of 10000.  The Rakha ground forces signature is still there, but now there's also an active sensor signal belonging to the Civilians on the planet.  (S1/R1, same as the actives on the Rakha STOs I'd just destroyed. ) The game is now throwing the same error message every turn.  I can't see anything wrong from poking around in the database, although Civilians don't seem to be a normal race -- they're not listed anywhere, and there are only two populations listed on the planet, mine and the Rakha population.  What does function 11 do?

This one is odd as any general problem with dropping troops would have caused a lot of bug reports. Function #11 is part of AI fire decisions.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

Also, are you running any mods?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2021, 02:06:11 AM »
Seems like "create swarm" button in system view when SM is turned on doesn't work. It didn't work in 1.12 either, producing an error message, but in 1.12 I was deleting nprs mid-game to salvage performance and smeg so that might be on me, but in this campaign I've yet to do something with the db, I didn't even purge FCT_GameLog as of yet, let alone try to delete an npr, but the problem persists, the only difference being now there's no error popup whatsoever - but the swarm is not created.

The function number: no error popup at all
Complete error text: no error popup at all
Window affected: I guess... tactical map, since they're not there?...
What were you doing at the time: nothing, just opened the game precisely to test the "create swarm", used sm to add ridiculous amount of every mineral at 1 acc on an empty world to make sure it is rich enough for swarm to spawn, positioned my fleet with active sensors on in orbit to instantly detect swarm ships the moment they appear, clicked on that planet in system view mode and pressed "create swarm"... Even multiple times... Nothing in-game happened.
TN start
Random stars
default aurora decimal separator
is the bug easy to reproduce: should be, just try to create a swarm via SM mode in system view...
campaign length: over 45 years

I just tried this and the Swarm appeared as normal. Did you advance time so your own forces could detect the swarm?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2021, 02:09:21 AM »
I'm getting an endless popup of "Function #2079: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

If you'll let me know what that function is, I don't mind poking around in the database for clues.

I just gave a fleet repeating orders (x99) to haul infrastructure between two planets. I've done those orders before, but not that high of a multiplier. Perhaps that broke some limit?

EDIT: I got the turn to finish generating by just holding down the Enter key for 30 seconds or so to kill the error popups.
On this turn I had two new contacts, of a new alien class (the aliens were already known).
On this turn I also received a message about overallocation of labs (I'm hauling labs from one planet to another).
Save is attached.

This error happened again many months later.
Same as last time, I held down the Enter key for about 30 seconds to close all the popups.
This time I also had a new contact of a new alien class (same aliens as before, in same system).
So that seems to be the prime suspect.

Here's something interesting:

I now have four items under "Known Ship Classes" for this race. In order listed, they are:
2x XX
4x XX
9x XX Class #4
1x XX Class #5

Interesting that the first two don't have a class name, and the 3rd one starts with #4.
I got the Function 2079 errors for the first time on the turn I first encountered that class.

At some point after discovering these aliens I changed their Theme to "Names Beginning with J."
I don't know exactly when I did that, but maybe it was after detecting the 2nd ship class.
Which means that the 3rd class ("Class #4") would have been the first one under the new theme.
Maybe that is causing the problem?

New DB attached.

If you rename the classes with the missing names, does that stop the bug?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2021, 06:17:54 AM »
Minor issue with picking up survivors.  I have a fleet with six ships with one emergency cryogenic transport apiece (as well as some other ships without cryogenic transport).  Each one can hold 200 survivors.  However, after picking up several lifepods the survivors were not distributed evenly between the ships; instead, one got 470 survivors, another got 336, and the rest got none.  And now the two ships that took all the survivors are complaining about insufficient accommodations.

I have updated the rescue code so that the ship that picks up a specific life pod is the top ship in list ordered by:
Descending Available Cryogenic Capacity Then Descending (Class Crew - Current Survivors)

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, mike2R, BAGrimm, Ancalagon, ISN

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2021, 06:51:52 AM »
"Fire at Will" erroneously targets Active Sensor contacts which are outside of missile engagement range, whereas the related function "Auto Target MFC" properly respects missile engagement range when choosing targets.

I would expect "Fire At Will" to only target vessels which are within missile engagement range. I haven't noticed this problem with beam weapons and Fire At Will.

Please can you provide some detail? Range of fire control, range of missile, range of target that was selected, etc.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »
I'm getting an endless popup of "Function #2079: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I now have four items under "Known Ship Classes" for this race. In order listed, they are:
2x XX
4x XX
9x XX Class #4
1x XX Class #5

If you rename the classes with the missing names, does that stop the bug?

I will give it a shot.
The problem only occurs when a new ship class is detected. I have renamed those two classes, and I'll let you know the outcome when it occurs.

Also interesting to note:
I have detected new classes since then (the error occurred each time), and this is the current list (after I renamed):

Code: [Select]
2x XX MyClassName1
4x XX MyClassName2
2x XX Class #10
1x XX Class #11
9x XX Class #4
2x XX Class #5
1x XX Class #8
1x XX Class #9

It seems that #6 and #7 were skipped?
I discovered 8,9,and 10 at the same time, and discovered 11 shortly thereafter.
Not sure if this is expected, or gives a clue about this bug.

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2021, 07:50:34 AM »
I just tried this and the Swarm appeared as normal. Did you advance time so your own forces could detect the swarm?

Yep, I advanced the time... multiple times... Did you suceed at creating it in my db?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2021, 08:24:19 AM »

Yep, I advanced the time... multiple times... Did you suceed at creating it in my db?

I can't use your db as I working with v1.14 code now, but when I try this on my own database it works fine. I know you have made database changes in the past - were there any modification for this game?

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »
This box needs scroll bars to be able to show the entire class design. (The current workaround is to select the text and drag your cursor to the bottom of the box so it auto-scrolls down to display the rest.)

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:58:50 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »

I can't use your db as I working with v1.14 code now, but when I try this on my own database it works fine. I know you have made database changes in the past - were there any modification for this game?

Nope, this db is pure, not even a single FCT_GameLog purge yet. All I did was remove the default game in the settings after I created my own, but that shouldn't cause any problems, should it?

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2021, 09:42:21 AM »
While dropping some troops from orbit on a planet with Rakhas I got an error message popup: "Function #11: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. " The game then created a new race of Civilians with my race picture and a diplomacy rating of 10000.  The Rakha ground forces signature is still there, but now there's also an active sensor signal belonging to the Civilians on the planet.  (S1/R1, same as the actives on the Rakha STOs I'd just destroyed. ) The game is now throwing the same error message every turn.  I can't see anything wrong from poking around in the database, although Civilians don't seem to be a normal race -- they're not listed anywhere, and there are only two populations listed on the planet, mine and the Rakha population.  What does function 11 do?

This one is odd as any general problem with dropping troops would have caused a lot of bug reports. Function #11 is part of AI fire decisions.

No mods, no database edits. I think I figured it out, though, and you're right -- it is an odd one. The ships I was using to drop the troops were actually alien ships that had surrendered to me. (Incidentally, they should probably be a bit more cautious about sending large, vulnerable troop transports into enemy systems.) I somehow hadn't noticed at the time, but it turns out one of them still contained an alien planetary defence regiment! It seems the game got very confused as to who the regiment belongs to. In the database it's listed under my population, but the original alien's RaceID. Not sure why this would lead to errors in the AI firing code, though -- maybe the regiment is trying to fire at me or at the Rakhas? Either way it seems the problem is with the ship surrendering code.

The following users thanked this post: Foxxonius Augustus

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »

No mods, no database edits. I think I figured it out, though, and you're right -- it is an odd one. The ships I was using to drop the troops were actually alien ships that had surrendered to me. (Incidentally, they should probably be a bit more cautious about sending large, vulnerable troop transports into enemy systems.) I somehow hadn't noticed at the time, but it turns out one of them still contained an alien planetary defence regiment! It seems the game got very confused as to who the regiment belongs to. In the database it's listed under my population, but the original alien's RaceID. Not sure why this would lead to errors in the AI firing code, though -- maybe the regiment is trying to fire at me or at the Rakhas? Either way it seems the problem is with the ship surrendering code.

Thanks - that is really useful.

The following users thanked this post: Foxxonius Augustus

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »
I got this function error #899 when I entered the command telling this captured ship to "Absorb" another captured fleet at the same location. It may be because this fleet is set to 0 km/sec.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2021, 03:06:48 PM »
It seems that Auto Assign FC is still bugged and not working correctly (reported this bug in one of the previous versions). Ship in screenshot has four 10cm railguns, six 12cm railguns and four gauss turrets. For some reason, auto assign duplicates 10cm railguns and sets them for two different firecontrols at the same time.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2021, 04:57:35 PM »

Nope, this db is pure, not even a single FCT_GameLog purge yet. All I did was remove the default game in the settings after I created my own, but that shouldn't cause any problems, should it?

It actually might because I also deleted the initial game with the Terran Federation and for some reason I can't rename my save game because of it. Is there some special initialization that happens for spoilers that exists in that initial game that isn't repeated for subsequently generated games?

I should say that besides the renaming issue I haven't encountered anything else.