Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 92836 times)

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2021, 10:55:57 AM »
This is kind of silly, but if you use the manual damage tool in the Miscellaneous tab of the Ship Overview page to attack a ship multiple times, the ship may be destroyed multiple times, leaving multiple lifepods and wrecks. Luckily, it seems that the commanders are not duplicated if they escape, ending up only in a single lifepod. And this is a pretty niche situation, so probably not the highest priority to fix.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »
If a fleet is following an enemy ship that leaves active sensor range, the fleet will stop with a "destination not found" message even if the ship it was following is still visible e.g. by a tracking station. You can then continue following the ship, you just have to give the fleet a new order.

SJW: Fleet Orders will now change to another current contact for the same ship if one exists.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:11:16 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
If a fleet is following an enemy ship that leaves active sensor range, the fleet will stop with a "destination not found" message even if the ship it was following is still visible e.g. by a tracking station. You can then continue following the ship, you just have to give the fleet a new order.

This happens to me a lot and it is very annoying.

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2021, 02:01:50 PM »
220x missiles fired, 220x missiles detonated against the enemy NPR STOs and STO-PDs. No point defense beam fire was observed. This NPR outtechs me and has pretty good ship-based PD tech.

Is NPR STO PD working as intended? Seems like it didn't fire at all.

What was the time increment used? I assume the four minute increment length was an interrupted longer increment. STO weapons only have a short detection range, so the missiles probably passed through that detection range in a single sub-pulse and the NPR was therefore unable to detect them before impact.

I was likely using 5-minute turns in that screenshot. So I tested it again with 5-second turns:

Same NPR population, reloaded my save. 330x missiles fired, using 5-second increments. Right before impact, the missiles were just 38,000 km away from the planet. All 330x missiles all impacted, with no observed PD fire. The NPRs out-tech me by a fair bit, so I'd expect them to intercept at least some of my missiles. My missiles only travel 43,000 km/sec.

I was under the impression that final fire PD was always supposed to have a chance to fire in C#.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:23:31 PM by Ancalagon »

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #364 on: May 27, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »
Planetary Invasions definitely broken!

The function number; 1.13.0
The complete error text; n/a
The window affected; Events
What you were doing at the time;Ground Combat
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?  decimal separator
Is the bug is easy to reproduce; Ground Combat constant
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well; 37 years

Reported earlier
Potential bug 1: An alien race tried to set up shop on my colony cost 0 colony. I set to hostile and appeared to destroy the interlopers. But I am still getting Ground Intelligence Report  Estimated Hostile Force (Error Range: 7%) Estimated Hostile Force: Unknown Unit Types: 211. but my ground forces will no longer engage the enemy. There is no separate colony that I have conquered so what is going on?

New problem
Potential bug 2: Invaded Tau Ceti - A I. After three years of combat I get the following report "Estimated Hostile Force (Error Range: 1%) Estimated Hostile Force: Infantry 1" All ground combat has stopped and I am unable to conquer the enemy colony, even though I have 40 battalions of ultra heavy vehicles and 10 battalions of heavy tanks all set to Forward Attack. Very frustrating!

I have seen the following error during the invasion but not towards the end of the ground combat.
"1:13:0 Function #2714. Object reference not set to the instance of an object"

Further to planetary invasions the current logistics rules do not work without horrendous micro management. Need to set it up that combat units can draw from a supply dump in the rear area. I also think logistics requirements need to be considerably reduced.
The second point is on the initial landing it appears that defending units are attacking while still having the benefits of Forward Defence. This means that the initial landing forces are devastated without the same ability to counter attack the defending forces. The defending forces should loose the benefit of being dug-in while attacking. (Yes I am assuming that is what is happening. I was higher tech and loosing 200-300 vehicles every eight hours while the defenders only lost 100-150. All my units set to Forward Defence but with only 8 hours it was insufficient to dig-in.) Perhaps I misunderstand what is meant by Forward Attack and Forward Defence?
Finally eight hour combat rounds are far too frequent and a hit rate of 1.5% is far too low. I also think ground force production is still too low. In the current invasion I only had 1 million tons of forces (almost my total production in game so far) to invade with but the defenders had a visible 450,000 tons of defenders.
IanD

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #365 on: May 27, 2021, 06:00:32 AM »
Planetary Invasions definitely broken!

The function number; 1.13.0
The complete error text; n/a
The window affected; Events
What you were doing at the time;Ground Combat
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?  decimal separator
Is the bug is easy to reproduce; Ground Combat constant
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well; 37 years

Reported earlier
Potential bug 1: An alien race tried to set up shop on my colony cost 0 colony. I set to hostile and appeared to destroy the interlopers. But I am still getting Ground Intelligence Report  Estimated Hostile Force (Error Range: 7%) Estimated Hostile Force: Unknown Unit Types: 211. but my ground forces will no longer engage the enemy. There is no separate colony that I have conquered so what is going on?

New problem
Potential bug 2: Invaded Tau Ceti - A I. After three years of combat I get the following report "Estimated Hostile Force (Error Range: 1%) Estimated Hostile Force: Infantry 1" All ground combat has stopped and I am unable to conquer the enemy colony, even though I have 40 battalions of ultra heavy vehicles and 10 battalions of heavy tanks all set to Forward Attack. Very frustrating!

I have seen the following error during the invasion but not towards the end of the ground combat.
"1:13:0 Function #2714. Object reference not set to the instance of an object"

Further to planetary invasions the current logistics rules do not work without horrendous micro management. Need to set it up that combat units can draw from a supply dump in the rear area. I also think logistics requirements need to be considerably reduced.
The second point is on the initial landing it appears that defending units are attacking while still having the benefits of Forward Defence. This means that the initial landing forces are devastated without the same ability to counter attack the defending forces. The defending forces should loose the benefit of being dug-in while attacking. (Yes I am assuming that is what is happening. I was higher tech and loosing 200-300 vehicles every eight hours while the defenders only lost 100-150. All my units set to Forward Defence but with only 8 hours it was insufficient to dig-in.) Perhaps I misunderstand what is meant by Forward Attack and Forward Defence?
Finally eight hour combat rounds are far too frequent and a hit rate of 1.5% is far too low. I also think ground force production is still too low. In the current invasion I only had 1 million tons of forces (almost my total production in game so far) to invade with but the defenders had a visible 450,000 tons of defenders.

Try setting some of your ground units to "Front Attack" in the Ground Unit Window for each of those planets, and report back. That will probably solve your issues.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #366 on: May 27, 2021, 06:18:13 AM »
Forvard Attack units are using evasion stats, while Forvard Defence are using entrenchment (if any).
There is no difference in fire density between Attack and Defence units in current version.

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2021, 06:33:46 AM »
New problem

Try setting some of your ground units to "Front Attack" in the Ground Unit Window for each of those planets, and report back. That will probably solve your issues.

This is already a followup from IanD. He knows about front line attack and is using it in the cases he's reporting a potential bug 1 and 2.

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2021, 10:22:16 AM »
Update

Attacked a mining colony Tau Ceti-A III with two brigades of ultra heavy armour,, about 100,000 tons.

First unusual happening - Colony had STOs but did not open fire on troop transports.

Second unusual happening - This time I annihilated the garrison  - no Ground Combat Intelligence, but no conquest either.

Ian
IanD

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2021, 10:26:05 AM »
Further to planetary invasions the current logistics rules do not work without horrendous micro management. Need to set it up that combat units can draw from a supply dump in the rear area.

This is already 100% possible. The trick is you must use LVH+LOG units for this to happen (representing supply trucks). INF+LOG will only resupply its own formation, the LVH type is capable of resupplying formations which are subordinate in the hierarchy. Of course, also note that the formation hierarchy must be followed as LVH+LOG can only supply subordinate formations to their own formation.

I also think logistics requirements need to be considerably reduced.

Disagree. If anything, logistics requirements in Aurora are rather low compared to those for a real army at least in terms of raw tonnage of materiel transported.

As other commenters have alluded, both front line attack and defense positions are able to fire at the enemy without hindrance. The main difference is the use of evasion and fortification, respectively, to reduce the enemy %chance to hit. The attack position also gains the ability to conduct breakthroughs and capture the enemy colony once the ground force has been defeated.

Not agreed on hit rates as the pace of ground combat seems reasonable to me, however GU production is problematic as planetary invasions are quite prohibitive against alien homeworlds. This may be a case where realism and fun gameplay are divergent and should be looked at. As it stands any homeworld invasion all but forces a long bombardment period which destroys the actual colony in the process, so that conquest becomes largely pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Zhukov

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
The GU production stuff I agree on (just make it work like construction industry) but this should probably be a discussion for the suggestion thread not the bug thread.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #371 on: May 27, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »
Further to planetary invasions the current logistics rules do not work without horrendous micro management. Need to set it up that combat units can draw from a supply dump in the rear area.

This is already 100% possible. The trick is you must use LVH+LOG units for this to happen (representing supply trucks). INF+LOG will only resupply its own formation, the LVH type is capable of resupplying formations which are subordinate in the hierarchy. Of course, also note that the formation hierarchy must be followed as LVH+LOG can only supply subordinate formations to their own formation.

I also think logistics requirements need to be considerably reduced.

Disagree. If anything, logistics requirements in Aurora are rather low compared to those for a real army at least in terms of raw tonnage of materiel transported.

I had logistics vehicles with all formations but they do not last long usually well under a year. I produced a little over a million tons of combat units in the 37 years of the game, trying to produce several thousand logistics vehicles would have been impossible. So what you are suggesting is that you require an army command unit with every thing subordinate to it? That would work. Finally 8 hour increments for 3-4 game years is boring. Have you actually tried it?
I have also had breakthroughs while the unit is in Front Line Defence.

It is a game not an accurate simulation, if you cannot conquer an alien homeworld it becomes a little pointless to bother with ground units at all. in addition the enemies ability to concentrate all its ground units in one place within 8 hours of the landing is highly improbable. Further the fight to the death is also improbable, usually they would surrender before total annihilation. Though this could be a double edged sword.

So at the moment it looks like nuking every thing from orbit is the only solution. I will give that a go as I have another war on another front!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:28:26 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #372 on: May 27, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »
I had logistics vehicles with all formations but they do not last long usually well under a year. I produced a little over a million tons of combat units in the 37 years of the game, trying to produce several thousand logistics vehicles would have been impossible. So what you are suggesting is that you require an army command unit with every thing subordinate to it?

Correct, or several army commands as having a single command for several million tons of ground troops is not practical. With this organization it also becomes much easier to resupply an invasion force over a very long time as you only need to periodically ship in a new replacement formation full of logistics vehicles to replenish the army commands.

The rest of the discussion I think needs to be branched into a suggestion thread.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #373 on: May 27, 2021, 01:04:20 PM »
I had logistics vehicles with all formations but they do not last long usually well under a year. I produced a little over a million tons of combat units in the 37 years of the game, trying to produce several thousand logistics vehicles would have been impossible. So what you are suggesting is that you require an army command unit with every thing subordinate to it?

Correct, or several army commands as having a single command for several million tons of ground troops is not practical. With this organization it also becomes much easier to resupply an invasion force over a very long time as you only need to periodically ship in a new replacement formation full of logistics vehicles to replenish the army commands.

The rest of the discussion I think needs to be branched into a suggestion thread.

You will need a little more than a few shipments periodically. I had to supply 100 logistics vehicles every two weeks for every brigade, and I had 40 in action. That's 4000 logistics vehicles every fortnight. If I didn't it would have taken another 3-4 years at least to finish the war, not that I could in the current state of play.
IanD

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #374 on: May 27, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »
I might be using it wrong, but the contacts list in the Contacts tab on the main screen doesn't seem to be working correctly. With the "Current System Only" box checked it correctly lists several ships, but when the box is unchecked it doesn't list anything. I've tried refreshing the window with no effect. Strangely, it does seem to work if you check one of the "Lost Contacts" options, listing contacts appropriately both when "Current System Only" is checked and when it isn't.

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:24:18 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42