Author Topic: v1.00 Bugs Thread  (Read 40682 times)

Offline Chris Foster

• Petty Officer
  • C
Re: v1.00 Bugs Thread
« Reply #315 on: April 12, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
Events not showing up on either tactical map or window, probably already reported or im doing something wrong  ;D

EDIT: already a thing for the tactical map, but still doesnt show up in the events window regardless. 

Fixed: Thanks to Kristover
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:10:55 PM by Chris Foster »

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #316 on: April 12, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »
Events not showing up on either tactical map or window, probably already reported or im doing something wrong  ;D

EDIT: already a thing for the tactical map, but still doesnt show up in the events window regardless.

Can't speak for the map but for the events window, go to the top and change the value up there from 30 to something like 60 - if you're doing 30 day turns, it constantly resets itself.  A good way to test the events window is click 5 day turns and check the events window and you'll see events scroll by and disappear at the 30 day mark.

The following users thanked this post: Chris Foster

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #317 on: April 12, 2020, 08:47:31 PM »
To clarify, when using the "Show Size in Tons" button, the displayed size changes. A ship that displays as 10,000 Tons after making can become 10,005 Tons by simply pressing the "Show Size in Tons" button. I believe it might be a rounding error or display error.
-snip-

Armour calculations are an integral, and only iterate three times.  Back when size was rounded to the nearest 50 tons this was rarely a problem, but now that it is displayed to four decimal places it takes an awful lot of clicking to get it to settle down.
Theres more then just a display error, it affects components, shipyards, etc, and happens when clicking on the design, or accessing it from the fleet organization tab. 
I can make a ship thats 370 million tons which contains no components but 2 tiny living quarters, and a single level of armour . Also related.
I've encountered some inconsistencies in the ship designer regarding the calculations for crew quarters and armor size. In the first picture i've built the design as normal (new class > +1 fuel storage > +2 engines > +1 geo-sensor) which gave a total ship speed of 301 km/s.

However, upon removing and re-adding one of the fuel tanks this speed has dropped to 299 km/s.

The third picture shows the ship design with which i first encountered the bug, which gives a third speed value of 296 km/s.

Of note is that both the crew quarters and the armor HS differ in all the three pictures (the first two show the same crew quarter layout).
This is the bug, note your design's tonnage is changing every time you add any component, click on the designs name, or do almost anything.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »
You can't refit ships that have their shields raised, they don't show up in the drop down. Since shields no longer take fuel it may be a lot more common for people to go around with their shields raised and forget.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #319 on: April 12, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
On clicking "Create Race" on a new game.

Function #1608: An item with the same key has already been added.
Function #1562: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.
Function #1423: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.
(8 copies of that)
Function #2939: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Function #2939: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

It hung after this

Race was "Humans" short name "Humans", Homeworld "Earth", conventional start. I changed the hull and station images. No idea if any of that is actually helpful.

Was this Real Stars or Random?
Random, sorry it took so long for me to see this.

Offline johiah

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #320 on: April 12, 2020, 09:07:01 PM »
This has probably been reported already but whenever I queue transits, standard transits, without fail once it does the first jump it then claims it doesn't have the right type of jump drive.  Requeuing the order allows it to then work.  This is with a military ship with commercial drive and engines, and a commercial ship with commercial drive

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #321 on: April 12, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
When designing a new Grav Survey Ship, I created a Military Jump Drive with squadron jump 3, capacity 5,000 tons. I put it on the Grav Survey Ship, then started adding various size fuel tanks until the GSV reached 5,000 tons. As soon as it hit 5,000, I got a design warning that the jump drive was too small for the ship size. I had to reduce the ship size below 5,000 tons to make the warning go away.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #322 on: April 12, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »
When designing a new Grav Survey Ship, I created a Military Jump Drive with squadron jump 3, capacity 5,000 tons. I put it on the Grav Survey Ship, then started adding various size fuel tanks until the GSV reached 5,000 tons. As soon as it hit 5,000, I got a design warning that the jump drive was too small for the ship size. I had to reduce the ship size below 5,000 tons to make the warning go away.
Likely because the tonnage keeps changing.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Tssha

• Petty Officer
« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »
I can research jump engines (self only) smaller than size 12 before researching 'Minimum jump engine size - 12' tech.
Don't know if it is a bug.  Or that the tech allows for squadron jumps below size 12.
Assuming it's the same as VB6 Aurora, this is (likely) working as intended. That jump drive will only jump that ship, which means it can't hold open the jump point for any other ship.

Dunno about squadron jumps, but as long as it's only jumping itself, it'll probably work fine.

Offline Gnoman

• Leading Rate
  • G
« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2020, 09:42:01 PM »
Immediately after game start, I SM terraform Mars to bring it to colony cost 0, then create a New Race on it with humans (intended to set up a "former colony" RP concept, something I often did in VB6).  If I set it to an NPR, I get a "Function #1512 - Object Reference Not Set To An Instance Of An Object" error.  If set to a player race, everything is fine.

Offline SomewhatAccurate

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUGS:

Pressing the Design Philosophy button in the Class Design window throws error. 
"Function #2631: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
This occured when I was designing my first class.

Repeated setting/unsetting of the Conscript option within the Class Design window
causes the "Exact Size" to slightly increase.

Selecting the Refit task in the Shipyards menu throws error when shipyard has no assigned class:
"Function #2931: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Pressing the Modify button while selecting an industrial project causes the industrial project
to be deselected.  The modification does occur but it isn't clear if the deselect behavior is
intended.

Obsoleting default techs such as "Nuclear Thermal Engine EP25" that are present at start
of game causes the techs to be automatically "researched" upon next tech research completing.

Selecting a subfleet (that has ships within it) in the Naval Organization window and clicking
the tab for Standing Orders causes a popup saying "Please select a fleet" and the Movement Orders
tab doesn't show any possible moves, preventing the user from setting movement orders.  Subsequent
clicking of various standing orders under the Standing Orders tab causes the popup again "Please select
a fleet"

Fleets with standing orders set to Secondary Condition - Supply points less than 20% and the subsiquent
order set to Resupply at Colony do not resupply at colony when low on maintence.  This results in wonderful
random explosions of ships as maintenence supplies hit 0.

Within the Wealth/Trade window, the sub-section listing expenditures is mislabled as "Income Type" rather
than "Expenditure Type".

Secondary standing order "Move to System Requiring Gravsurvey" does not cause ships to move into unexplored
systems.  However, this may be intentional.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUGESTION:

Jump drives should determine if they can jump a ship based on if the CLASS is military/commerical rather than
if the ENGINES are military/commercial.  It seems odd to me that a military jump engine cannot jump a military
class ship because it uses commercial engines.

OTHER:

Thank you Steve! So far the game is running overall well and jesus the speed difference from VB aurora.
Keep up the work! I am a game programmer as well and I understand the monumental slogfest that making a
game entails, especially as a solo dev.  Thanks again!

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
There may be an issue with Training commands' fuel usage calculation.  Moving my 63-day-range FACs into a Training command caused them to be completely drained of fuel within 3-4 hours.    If their standing orders are set to refuel, this can consume Earth's entire fuel supply inside a 5-day increment.   

Edit: The fuel drain doesn't appear to happen under General commands.  Fleet training happens under both.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:53:39 PM by thashepherd »

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #327 on: April 12, 2020, 10:43:04 PM »
Neutral NPRs cause fatal errors; non-NPR neutral races don't seem to work as population sources for other player races as in 7.1.

Offline Kiks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #328 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:04 PM »
So playing around with survey fighters as I do, and one of them broke its geological scanner without the necessary amount of maintenance supplies.  I sent it home for repairs and at the shipyard it will take 5 months and some change just to fix the scanner.  Scraping the fighter would takes 2 months.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not but it would actually just be faster, and cheaper, to abandon the fighter and build a new one.   

Offline Chris Foster

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2020, 10:58:00 PM »
After desiging and researching both a EM sensor and a thermal sensor (racial tech), class design window will not open.  The window is white in my windows hotbar and clicking on it does not bring it up.  It is not hidden behind anything either.