Author Topic: 3.1 Bugs  (Read 14640 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2008, 04:48:54 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Yet another bug that could only be created by stupidity  :D )

At some point I noticed my mistake, as the DDE class screen was almost blank, with only engines installed.  I completed the design, with weapons, defenses, sensors, etc., and made sure that the completed ships of that class accurately reflected the correct design on the "Ship" screen.  

All was well and good until I tried to use that design in battle.  The "Battle Control" screen would not reflect the correct systems for that design no matter what I did.  I tried the following:

1.  I tried to force a refresh by going to the "Ship" screen and viewing each individual ship, no joy.  

2.  I then reviewed the design, discovered that it wasn't "locked" because there was an error (the crew space was too small), fixed that and locked it, then went to the Ship screen and reviewed all of the ships.  No joy.  

3.  I then used the Fast OOB creator to create entirely new ships using the newly fixed design.  No joy - the Battle Control screen still said that the new ships had no weapons, tracking systems, or sensors.

4.  I then copied the old design, used the Fast OOB to create new ships of the copied design.  No joy, the Battle Control screen still insisted that the new ships had no weapons or sensors or control systems.  

5.  Finally I created a new design from scratch, with all of the same systems as the old design, and Fast OOB'd new ships of the new design.  This worked.  

I have no idea what the Battle Control window is locked on to, as nothing I could find had the old faulty design on it.  

That is weird, although I have problems in the past with the battle control window somehow looking at really old information. If you still have the problem design in the database, please could you send it to me.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2008, 04:52:15 AM »
Quote from: "Cassaralla"
Further problems of the PDC kind.  I have amazing teleporting PDCs.  I created one from prefab on a colony world.  Changed it's Task group so I could rename it but forgot to change the task group's location to the correct planet.  One press of 5 Days and the PDC is back on my homewrold 4 jumps away taking with it the 5 infantry units I had stationed in it.

I think this is a problem with the AI that causes PDCs to get homesick (just kidding). Just to clarify, when you say you forgot to change the TGs location. Where was the task group and where were you changing it from and to. If it was still at your homeworld, the PDcs would still be there too.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2008, 05:11:56 AM »
I seem to remember someone else having this same problem -

Aurora seems to think that there are PDC's present on a moon when there are not.  Ground fighting has taken place on one of the moons of Saturn in my campaign, a hard fought campaign involving approximately twelve ground units of various types between the two sides.  

First off, ground combat seems to be handled different in 3.1 from the last time I had a ground combat, and I like the change.  Having said that, once one side finished off the other's ground units, Aurora kind of stalled out.  During the last time advance with ground fighting Aurora merely noted that the losing side had lost its last ground unit.  I told the winning side's ground units to continue attacking and advanced the time five days again, and Aurora gave the following message in the Event screen:

"General Ground Attack on Titan.  No defending units are present.  However, one or more enemy PDC's are still in operation and may contain additional units."

This statement is completely false.  Neither side has built any PDC's on Titan, or even planned to build any.  I don't know if Aurora is somehow considering other PDC's in the same system or what.  

I just ran a test on this and there was a bug, just not the one I expected. I can't even get to the message above because there is a mistake in the SQL for the check on PDCs. Its corrected now but I am not sure how to fix your problem as I can't recreate it. The code for the check worked once I fixed the SQL problem.

However, as a complete guess at a (hacky) workaround, just temporarily move the task force containing the defenders PDCs in the same system to a different system using SM mode and the Additional Information tab on the F12 window. See if the surrender occurs. If so, move them back. If not, let me know what happens. Back up the database first :)

Steve

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
(No subject)
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2008, 05:15:53 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Further problems of the PDC kind.  I have amazing teleporting PDCs.  I created one from prefab on a colony world.  Changed it's Task group so I could rename it but forgot to change the task group's location to the correct planet.  One press of 5 Days and the PDC is back on my homewrold 4 jumps away taking with it the 5 infantry units I had stationed in it.
I think this is a problem with the AI that causes PDCs to get homesick (just kidding). Just to clarify, when you say you forgot to change the TGs location. Where was the task group and where were you changing it from and to. If it was still at your homeworld, the PDcs would still be there too.

Steve

The PDC was on a colony 4 jumps from the homeworld.  The TG I moved it to was one I'd just created as new . . . so I guess that was on the Homeworld.  So when I moved the PDC so I could rename it . . . it teleported 4 jumps.  I've since been able to successfully setup and rename PDCs on colonies by being careful on the TG screen to make sure it was always set to the correct planet/system.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Cassaralla »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2008, 05:24:40 AM »
Another error with prefab PDCs, or at least i think it's an error.  The one I managed to get assembled cannot be renamed.  It shows up on my Task Force table as being present and I can transfer GUs in to it, but it doesn't appear on the F6 Ship List and I can't find a way of renaming it.

When a PDC is created, it is placed in a fleet. Unfortunately I had forgotten to assign a Task ForceID to fleets created for that reason. Only ships in fleets with valid task force IDs show up on the F6 window. It is fixed for the nest version.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I created a couple new ships. The intended fleets were not in-system, so the ships ended up in my reserves. However, I could use the Organization tab from the F12 screen to shift the ships to their fleets, even though they are out-system.

Maybe disallow that, or break the transferred ship out into a temp fleet and have it travel to the new fleet.

I have changed the F12 window so the only destination fleets on the organization tab of the F12 window are fleets in the same system.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2008, 05:36:09 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
As I was trying to squeeze a half-size laser into a small patrol boat, I was thrilled to learn that my skilled workers would do the work for free:

:)

Corrected for v3.2. Lasers now have a minimum cost of 1 BP.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
I finally tracked down and fixed the problem with ships zipping across the system when set to survey next 5 system bodies.

Steve

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
Yet another bug that could only be created by stupidity  :D )

At some point I noticed my mistake, as the DDE class screen was almost blank, with only engines installed.  I completed the design, with weapons, defenses, sensors, etc., and made sure that the completed ships of that class accurately reflected the correct design on the "Ship" screen.  

All was well and good until I tried to use that design in battle.  The "Battle Control" screen would not reflect the correct systems for that design no matter what I did.  I tried the following:

1.  I tried to force a refresh by going to the "Ship" screen and viewing each individual ship, no joy.  

2.  I then reviewed the design, discovered that it wasn't "locked" because there was an error (the crew space was too small), fixed that and locked it, then went to the Ship screen and reviewed all of the ships.  No joy.  

3.  I then used the Fast OOB creator to create entirely new ships using the newly fixed design.  No joy - the Battle Control screen still said that the new ships had no weapons, tracking systems, or sensors.

4.  I then copied the old design, used the Fast OOB to create new ships of the copied design.  No joy, the Battle Control screen still insisted that the new ships had no weapons or sensors or control systems.  

5.  Finally I created a new design from scratch, with all of the same systems as the old design, and Fast OOB'd new ships of the new design.  This worked.  

I have no idea what the Battle Control window is locked on to, as nothing I could find had the old faulty design on it.  
That is weird, although I have problems in the past with the battle control window somehow looking at really old information. If you still have the problem design in the database, please could you send it to me.

Steve

I have the updated, corrected version of the design (which still doesn't work in the Battle Control window).  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
I finally tracked down and fixed the problem with ships zipping across the system when set to survey next 5 system bodies.

Steve

I'm sure this one was fun to track down!

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »

Steve

Yippee!! :-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »

Steve

Yippee!! :-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
(No subject)
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »
Maybe this has been posted before, but I'm not sure... anyway, should I be able to put more colonists on a planet classified as unsuitable than on a planet with a colony cost of 2.2.  I have 106 units of infrastructure with a pop of 6.35m and a growth rate of 12.5% on the unsuitable and 1192 units of infrastructure with a pop of 4.68m, supported pop of 5.46m, and growth rate of 12.00%.  Doesn't pass the common sense test.  I am in full support of placing colonies on unsuitable planets, but with much more infrastructure than on planets needing a little terraforming.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by adradjool »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2008, 07:33:10 AM »
I don't see that anyone has reported this one.

I'm unable to select either teams or commanders for pickup or dropoff in the task group screen(f12).  I can see the command, select the command which activates the sub-window for selecting the team or commander.  I can even highlight my selection, but the command is never issued to the task group.  I'm able to use the transfer functions in the commander, personel, and ship screens still.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2008, 07:52:22 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
I don't see that anyone has reported this one.

I'm unable to select either teams or commanders for pickup or dropoff in the task group screen(f12).  I can see the command, select the command which activates the sub-window for selecting the team or commander.  I can even highlight my selection, but the command is never issued to the task group.  I'm able to use the transfer functions in the commander, personel, and ship screens still.

I use this all the time so something weird is going on. Do you click the add order button or try to double-click on the order?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »