Author Topic: Official v5.10 Bugs Thread  (Read 26429 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Official v5.10 Bugs Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
Quote from: "sluissa"
Strange, annoying, but not game breaking bug with the Naval Organization tab. Applies for both 5.02 and 5.14.

First, some background.

I use a setup with two monitors. My main monitor is a 1400x900 widescreen LCD. My second monitor is a standard ratio 1280x1024. When I play the game I have to move the windows that are too big to deal with on my main monitor over to my secondary monitor. It's actually quite handy since I can look at two windows at once, usually.

Anyway, I've found that with the naval organization tab under task groups, if the window is on my secondary monitor, I can't use most of the buttons. They all pop up with a window saying "Please select a Task Force or Branch". Moving it over to my primary monitor seems to fix this, but in that case I cant use any of the buttons on the bottom row of the window. But, if I decide to move it back to my secondary monitor after "fixing it" it won't let me change my selection on the organization chart. Whatever button I press will affect the last thing I selected when the window was on my main monitor. It even seems to attempt to allow me to add branches to no longer existing task forces or branches. Although I don't get an error and nothing appears on the chart.

I know this is a very rare scenario and I probably shouldn't expect it to be fixed and in fact it might just be a quirk of VB6 which is unfixable. I just figured I would mention it.
I think there is a problem with the Microsoft treeview control that it can't handle mouse-clicks with negative xy values. If you monitor is setup to the left of your main monitor, trying changing your desktop settings to change it to be on the right of your main monitor and see if the problem disappears.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »
A Geology Team will not do anything unless there is a Governor on the body. That is to say, I loaded a Geology Team onto a ship to transfer to a body that I did not create a Colony on before hand. Aurora creates the Colony automatically (yay!) and the Geology Team is listed ... but over two years I get no reports, and these guys are fairly decent from previous experience.

I place a Governor and within the next 5day they find something :)

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2010, 04:07:52 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
A Geology Team will not do anything unless there is a Governor on the body. That is to say, I loaded a Geology Team onto a ship to transfer to a body that I did not create a Colony on before hand. Aurora creates the Colony automatically (yay!) and the Geology Team is listed ... but over two years I get no reports, and these guys are fairly decent from previous experience.

I think that was just a coincidence, I just checked my latest game and there is a planet I have completed a geological survey of which has not yet had a governor assigned

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:07 AM »
Quote from: "Andrew"

I think that was just a coincidence, I just checked my latest game and there is a planet I have completed a geological survey of which has not yet had a governor assigned

Yeah, moved the team to Civilian Mining Colony and they didn't give me any reports even when I moved a Governor over.

I do feel that there is something wrong, 2 years without any feedback is more than stretching it!

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »

Yeah, moved the team to Civilian Mining Colony and they didn't give me any reports even when I moved a Governor over.

I do feel that there is something wrong, 2 years without any feedback is more than stretching it!
This could be because of the way that the program handles the geo survey team.  The two things that will really slow down the survey are having a low total team score, and if you are surveying something that is not a planet.  Chunks in particular seem to take forever to survey completely, and you will have very long stretches with no results.

Brian

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »
I may have already reported this, but I suppose it can't hurt to say it again.

The NPR is constantly building FACs and then assigning them to a TG, but then the ship is disappearing, I think due to the fact they have no maintenance although not 100% sure on that. End result is that they are constantly ordering replacement FACs and wasting their resources and its crimping their style.

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:38 AM »
So I found a moon that orbits through its sun.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/605/borkedorbit.png

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2010, 08:44:34 AM »
A suspicion on the Geo team issue. I don't have any issues with a single Team, but it may be that if you have two, one of them (the first one in place?) goes inactive.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2010, 06:38:10 AM »
Quote from: "Mini"
So I found a moon that orbits through its sun.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/605/borkedorbit.png
Two ways to look at that.
1. The moon is massively inclided vs the ecplitic and orbits above/below the star.  Unlikely I know, but at least better than suspending disbelief about the moon tunnelling through the star every orbit.
2. 'That's no moon'  :D
Welchbloke

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
[attachment=0:lc0yk82j]tech error.jpg[/attachment:lc0yk82j]

The above looks OK, but I am sure that neither the Earth Defence Authority, World Free States nor China had Compact ECM-1, ECCM-1 or Small Craft ECM-1, ECCM-1. Yes the "Precursors" did but I eliminated all tech and they were certainly not created on the same planet as the others. :?  This occurred after I shared the Particle Beam range tech with the other Earth bound entities.
IanD

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
Version 5.14

1. System Map F3- Pick any system- then all bodies tab on left.  If you click on any planet without expanding it's tree, it goes to that planet. If you pick "Asteroids" ( I expect it doesn't know which one to go to or if there are any at all). Error 13 Type Mismatch- click ok, Error 3061 Too few parameters expected. Click ok. error 91 Obect variable or with Block variable not set. ( Error 91 4 times ) Game does not stop.

2. Regarding Sorium Harvesters ( I originally posted this in the academy but no insight or replies one way or the other)

I found a Gas Giant planet outside of Sol with 280,000,000 sorium. I built a fleet of fuel harvesters and sent them there. I put a small automated mining colony on a nearby planet with no pop to be a fuel base for the harvesters to dump their fuel load when full and to do some mining (it has a lot of minerals). I set only a conditional order of Condition: Fuel tanks full Orders: Unload Fuel at Colony and Move to Sorium Gas Giant. The system is a Trinary with Star systems A and B both surveyed. C has not been surveyed as it is just too far out at the moment for my ships ( mean distance 6000 on the system generation screen. Just what does that distance mean? AU's?) There are only 2 gas Giants that have sorium, both in B and I have my harvester fleet at one of them.

The fleet does fill up with fuel. At 100% full -Event: Conditional Order "Fuel Harvester Group has been given conditional orders to unload 90% fuel at Not Found and move to a gas giant with Sorium" It does move to my colony and drop off the fuel. Next Event: Orders Completed: "Fuel harvester Group has completed orders" but it has never moved back to the gas giant. I have to move it back manually. I waited for several turns to see if the fleet would move. Several times.

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
Quote from: "IanD"
[attachment=0:2kgytfj4]tech error.jpg[/attachment:2kgytfj4]

The above looks OK, but I am sure that neither the Earth Defence Authority, World Free States nor China had Compact ECM-1, ECCM-1 or Small Craft ECM-1, ECCM-1. Yes the "Precursors" did but I eliminated all tech and they were certainly not created on the same planet as the others. :?  This occurred after I shared the Particle Beam range tech with the other Earth bound entities.
I have had anomalous cases of Compact and small craft ECM/ECCM developing either while trasnferring technologies or dissasembling ECM/ECCM Units

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Quote from: "Andrew"
Quote from: "IanD"
[attachment=0:14w0rvxf]tech error.jpg[/attachment:14w0rvxf]

I have had anomalous cases of Compact and small craft ECM/ECCM developing either while trasnferring technologies or dissasembling ECM/ECCM Units

I've had a related anomaly.  When salvaging my own ships recovering components that I've never researched much less used in the design of the class that the wreck comes from.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
Another similar bug. The EDA defeated the South Americans and recovered conventional ICBM, launch control, and silo. At the same time all other empires on the planet received all missile launch tech and missile designs, not all of which were possessed by the EDA and some missile launcher designs not possessed by any empire in the current game (highlighted). The only mildly unusual thing was I had the transfer tech screen open with the EDA and China selected but nothing selected, SM mode on.

[attachment=0:cmi99jx3]tech error 2.jpg[/attachment:cmi99jx3]

Regards
IanD

Offline Soralin

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
Just started playing, haven't seen these bugs listed yet in the newer threads, although they might be older ones, but these are all in v5.14:

1.Aurora seems to semi-permanently change the style of menus, everywhere, in all windows programs.  If the last screen I had selected was the small bar that comes up with a game, then the right click menu will be gray everywhere.  If the system or galaxy map is the last one that I had selected, it'll be the yellow text on a black background.  This isn't just for the game, but instead seems to apply to everything in windows.  Right click menus on the desktop, dropdown menus on folders or firefox, etc.  And this change seems to persist after the game exits, and remains until the system is restarted, or until I go to the themes menu for windows, and apply a change over the top of it. (Running under windows XP at least).

Reproducing this is easy enough, just start a game, quit it, and notice that your menu backgrounds are different now.

2. It seems in the class design screen, that the "Build Time (yrs)" display isn't always accurate or consistent, when I'm changing parts around.  If I select the ship from the class list again, it'll update the result to the correct value, that matches what it takes for the shipyards to produce.  However, if I'm adding or removing things, it ends up being different from what it should be, and different based on the order in which I do things.

For example, and to reproduce, starting a new game without any tech, make a new ship in the class design screen (1x crew,fuel,engineering,bridge), and it'll have a build time of 0.24 years.
Add another 10 crew quarters, and it goes up to 1.00 years.
Add another 10, and it goes up to 1.71 years.
Remove those same 10 crew quarters, and it drops down to 0.95 years.
Remove the first 10 again, and it's at 0.23.

If I select the ship again between each step, the correct results seem to be 0.24, 0.97, 1.67

This difference can get quite large with larger items.  For example, starting at 0.24 and adding 10 cargo bays it goes to 1.32, adding another 10 makes it 0.62, removing those 10 makes it 0.22, and removing the last 10, makes it 0.07.,  If I select the ship from the class screen, it'll update those values, and give me the values: 0.24, 0.38, 0.36 for 0, 10, 20 cargo bays.

3. The completion date for a ship being made in a shipyard, isn't accurately displayed for steps smaller than the construction cycle time.  For example, building that nearly empty new ship, I have a completion date of 29th March 2025.  If I step forward by 1 day, the completion date changes to 30th March 2025.  If I do it again it goes to 1st April 2025, then 2nd April 2025, then 3rd April 2025, until it finally gets around to the beginning of a new construction cycle, and advancing it another day brings it back to being completed on 29th March 2025 again.  Although it always does seem to be correctly set after a construction cycle.  For example, if I advance a couple days until it says that it'll be done on 1st April, and then have it go ahead by 5 days, it has the correct date of 29th March there when it's done calculating.

Now that I look closer, the same seems to hold true for Research completion dates, and industry completion dates, and probably other completion dates that are around that are tied to the construction cycle.  And actually, if I create a new project partway into a construction cycle, advancing ahead by a day, can move the apparent completion date forward by several days.

Nevermind, I think this one might be a v5.10 error if I didn't update properly, it went away at least after I did the 5.14 update again, and made a new map.
4.  If, on the system map, I right click on a an asteroid, and under population, choose to make a new colony.  And then right click again, and again under population, select that colony, I get an "Error 11 was generated by Aurora   Division by zero"  Although it seems to continue on from there to the colony summary screen without any problems.  If I go through the colony summary button, and look at the location from there, it doesn't have any problems.  Furthermore, with some more testing, it seems this happens with any uninhabitable colony.  Doing the same thing with a colony on a world not outside the gravity range, doesn't produce the error.

5. Intelligence and foreign relations screen (I think I might have seen this one posted before):
Changing any of the buttons here, on a new game, seems to produce a large number of errors, "Error 381 was generated by Aurora, invalid property array index", followed by "Error 3078 was generated by DAO.Database, The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query ", Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.", followed by "Error 91 was generated by Aurora, Object variable or With block variable not set" 5 times, followed by "Error 381 was generated by Aurora, Invalid property array index"

6. On the intelligence and foreign relation screen, where you can change the color of the hostile/friendly states, and perhaps elsewhere where you can change color in the same way, but I can't find any right now.  If you click to change a color, and then click the x on the screen that comes up, instead of canceling and leaving the color the same, it sets the color to the last color you set something to (or black if you haven't set any color before)