Author Topic: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions  (Read 12873 times)

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
Re: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
Q21: Mostly has been answered, but you'll get this message periodically even when you're doing everything right re:establishing the colony. You'll often have situations where you'll see 2.56mil colonists where only 2.54mil can be supported by the infrastructure. In this case, unrest will rise by something negligible, like 0.04%, and can pretty much be ignored.

Note that you colony *will* demand protection once it reaches 10mil colonists and, should that not be provided for, efficiency will eventually reach 0%. You can also use a garrison force to quell the unrest, although you're probably more likely to do a combination of the two: Engineers to build the low end/nearly useless PDC to give the low amount of protection demanded.

Q22: Early on, I tend to avoid mass drivers for all but far reaching bodies (Titania, etc) that I'm no longer making regular deliveries to. They're an extra 300BP each, which is a significant amount early on. Only once I got my extra-solar mining colonies up and running did I start relying heavily on mass drivers in those systems (Actually, that'll be accurate in half a year once automine production resumes, still mass producing research labs).

The reason for this being that if you're still delivering the occasional automine to Titan, there's no reason your cargo ship can't take back the load of minerals with it.

However, should you have chronic shortages of minerals you're harvesting off Sol, mass drivers do make for a more reliable delivery method.

As far as getting the colony up, subsidizing the civilian sector is one excellent way to jump start their freighters/colony ships. Just note that they never upgrade their ships, so don't drop 50k in subsidies this early on.

Also, asteroid mining modules (only work on asteroids + comets) *only* drop minerals on the surface due to coding limitations in the game.

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
As far as getting the colony up, subsidizing the civilian sector is one excellent way to jump start their freighters/colony ships. Just note that they never upgrade their ships, so don't drop 50k in subsidies this early on.

Hah, I've had a really annoying time of my latest game: The two shipping companies that have sprung up keep bringing colonists to Mars, which means I'm forced to continuously build infrastructure for them. Well, if it earns me money...
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline Ashery

• A
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
Hah, I've had a really annoying time of my latest game: The two shipping companies that have sprung up keep bringing colonists to Mars, which means I'm forced to continuously build infrastructure for them. Well, if it earns me money...

Heh, made a mistake similar to yours, but you won't expect what it actually is:

You don't need to manually build infrastructure except for the first batch that you drop off. Infrastructure is produced as a trade good on all colonies. This not only allows for modest expansion without constant deliveries, but it means Earth has a massive surplus that your civilians will haul as trade goods.

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »
You don't need to manually build infrastructure except for the first batch that you drop off. Infrastructure is produced as a trade good on all colonies. This not only allows for modest expansion without constant deliveries, but it means Earth has a massive surplus that your civilians will haul as trade goods.

I have noticed that for a month, the population will be at its limit, then infrastructure will magically appear. It annoys me to see the reports of "Unrest rising" and "unrest falling" every I check the news, though. But I imagine things will get better when its population hist 25 million, eh?

Also, sorry for kinda hijacking the thread!

Offline Ashery

• A
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
I'm still getting the unrest messages with Titan despite it being at 34mil, so the messages won't really go away until you either get the colony cost low enough such that the colony will produce enough infrastructure on it's own or you finish terraforming.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
I have noticed that for a month, the population will be at its limit, then infrastructure will magically appear. It annoys me to see the reports of "Unrest rising" and "unrest falling" every I check the news, though. But I imagine things will get better when its population hist 25 million, eh?

Also, sorry for kinda hijacking the thread!

That's most likely triggered by pop growth exceeding infrastructure, then construction/shipping adding it.

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
That's most likely triggered by pop growth exceeding infrastructure, then construction/shipping adding it.

Oh yeah, naturally. I meant that the pop growth exceeds the infrastructure, then the shipping lines bring infrastructure there, raising the popcap and alleviating the problem.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
Q23: Do you actually have to split different ships into different taskgroups if you want to give them individual orders? Or is there a different way?

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
23. You need to split the taskgroup to give different orders.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
That's unfortunate. Well, if I must have ~25 taskgroups, I will.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:15:56 PM by Repulsion »

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »
Q24: What is the point of reactors? Longer term power? Or...?

Q25: How exactly do you design missiles? Can't find any missiles in the 'Create Research Project' thing, and I actually really have no idea HOW to design missiles. It would be unfortunate if I designed a missile much bigger than I needed it to be.

Q26: What does fuel efficiency affect? Less fuel used?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »
Q24: What is the point of reactors? Longer term power? Or...?

Q25: How exactly do you design missiles? Can't find any missiles in the 'Create Research Project' thing, and I actually really have no idea HOW to design missiles. It would be unfortunate if I designed a missile much bigger than I needed it to be.

24 - reactors are required for most beam type weapons.

25 - F2 screen. Bottom. Should be a Missile button. Click that.

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »
26: Fuel efficiency is indeed less fuel used. I believe it's backwards though, "lower" efficiency translates to less fuel use IIRC.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
Q28: What do fuel refineries do?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin