Author Topic: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions  (Read 12870 times)

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
24 - reactors are required for most beam type weapons.

Most? Which beam weapons do not require a reactor?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
Most? Which beam weapons do not require a reactor?

CIWS & Gauss Cannon.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
Q29: I keep getting overflow errors and crashes when trying to find anything on the system map. Right now the system map is just a blue screen, for some reason.

Offline Kostya7er

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
too zoomed in?

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »
No, it's not zoomed in. I've tried zooming it all the way out; nothing.

Q30: How exactly do mass drivers work? Just set your destination and eventually they'll send some mineral packets?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
No, it's not zoomed in. I've tried zooming it all the way out; nothing.

Q30: How exactly do mass drivers work? Just set your destination and eventually they'll send some mineral packets?

Yep. Every 5-day increment, the MD will launch a mineral packet. You can click a checkbox on the system map to make the packets show, but in my experience, the packets flying in from everywhere soon clutter the map, so I keep ´em off.

Only planetary bodys and only those with a mass driver to catch the load are selectable as targets.
It used to be possible, to remove the catching mass driver which lead to mass destruction (think dino-killer here), but Steve introduced a warning, once you try to remove the last MD from a planet "under fire". (not sure you can remove the last mass driver at all, as I am sticking to an older version atm).
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
It is possible to remove the last MD. The warning pops up only after the cargo ship has loaded the MD. If you already have a mineral packet on the way and use long-enough increment that the cargo ship has managed to depart... fun fun fun!

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
These 'overflow' errors are really pissing me off. I don't understand what's causing them. I can't see the system map, and if I try to move around with the arrows, it crashes after ~5 arrow clicks.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2011, 05:34:59 AM »
These 'overflow' errors are really pissing me off. I don't understand what's causing them. I can't see the system map, and if I try to move around with the arrows, it crashes after ~5 arrow clicks.

What is the exact text of the overflow error and what is the title of the popup box?

Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2011, 07:31:12 AM »
Have you zoomed too far? I received two sorts of overflow errors regarding the system map. First one when I had over a dozen TGs flying around in Sol and that disappeared when I reduced the number of TG's that the game had to draw on the map. Second one was when I had zoomed really, really far out in another system, which was solved by clicking the "min zoom" button as that focuses on the star, while showing a reasonable zoom.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2011, 08:23:24 AM »
Okay, I'll copy the error.

Error in CentreOnLocation

Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
Please report to http://aurora2.pentarch.org/viewforumphp?f=11

Of course, it is in a little box.

Edit: Also

Q30: How do you switch between different systems? As in, switch between viewing them?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:59:14 AM by Repulsion »

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »
30: On the left side of the system view there will be this dropdown box. Click on it (It's probably saying "Sol") and choose a different system, it'll drop you into the system view there.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
Q31: I'm not exactly sure how armor works, as of now. I have read the tutorials, but it still seems a bit befuddling. So there is armor coverage/thickness/etc that depends on the size of the ship, and armor depth that can be added on. But what does armor depth help with? How can I see what weapons will do what to armor? Is there something on the weapon design screens that tells me what x weapon will do to armor?

Q32: For active sensors for detecting ships, I understand the resolution thing; X amount of resolution for x sized ship. But, does the resolution have to be spot on to detect a ship? Or can it be kind of near the TCS to detect it on scanners?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2011, 08:35:17 PM »
Q31: armour width depends on the volume of your ship, ie it's total tonnage. Higher tonnage, larger volume, bigger ship - more armour width. This just means there are more locations for weapons to hit. Depth is the actual thickness of armour and is the part that really protects the ship. Different weapons deal damage in different formations - for example, lasers make deep gauges that are very narrow, so if the first hit does not penetrate armour, it's highly unlikely to get a hit in the exact same spot again. Missiles, OTOH, create craters, so it's easier to get a second hit on or near the first hit, which helps overall armour penetration. In essence, you need to "sandpaper" the armour away before you get to inside to do some real damage. Check wiki for the exact damage variations of different weapons, it's all listed there.

Q32: No, the resolution means the size of a ship that the sensor is optimized for. It will detect smaller ships but not on the same distance - so smaller ships can sneak closer to your sensor before it picks them up. IRL, a larger ship would be spotted farther away than the nominal sensor range (to a degree), but I think that Aurora has it capped to the nominal size. So sensor with 50HS resolution with the range of 20 milkliks will spot anything bigger at the same distance but smaller objects would get closer.

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
Hrrm...

Q34: What does 'Incorporate Sub-fleets' do?

Q35: How can I make it so that my survey ships DON'T survey asteroids?