Author Topic: Change Log for 6.00 discussion  (Read 50004 times)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: Change Log for 5.70 discussion
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
The Missile Design is obviously lovely, great changes there; But I have to agree with byrons sentiment.
There should be a switch "buoy/missile" that, if set to missile, further halves generator size, but limits maximum time of the missile to a certain number, say, (flight time at full power)*2.
Because otherwise I see missiles being fired at certain places, opponent dies, and they just stay there forever just in case something comes around.
That'd be too easy, and a serious drag on performance.

I'm not sure that is needed as anything with a warhead is going to self-destruct when it has no target (one of the two exceptions that Steve has added in). To achieve the above I think you would need to launch a missile with no warhead but with sub-munitions which is back to it acting as a bouy as intended.

On the jump ships I like the fact that it will be easier to build bigger jump ships. It would be great if this was matched by an increase in the cost and effort of gate building to make this more of a strategic decision rather than an option on how to explore the galaxy - perhaps an annual cost for gate maintenance?

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
There should be a switch "buoy/missile" that, if set to missile, further halves generator size, but limits maximum time of the missile to a certain number, say, (flight time at full power)*2.
Because otherwise I see missiles being fired at certain places, opponent dies, and they just stay there forever just in case something comes around.
That'd be too easy, and a serious drag on performance.
He did mention that missiles with warheads go away when the fuel runs out.  My proposal is to get rid of reactors entirely for those.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
Reactors are only needed for sensors, right?  No sensors, no reactor, but you need live firecon.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 04:02:21 PM »
Are you going to look into laser heads again this update? I can see how they'd fit really well with the new missile rules.

Offline Erthel

• Leading Rate
  • E
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
Will we be able to use orbital habitational modules like mobile brothels on a big civilian ship behind our main fleet, to park it at some random planet and orbit the fleet around for the morale boost? Or only grounded populations work?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 02:15:38 AM »
Ha!  Orbital brothels.

Come on down to rootin' tootin' al's orbital boîte à bonbons!

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 07:11:40 AM »
Forward supply bases should become much more interesting now!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
Will we be able to use orbital habitational modules like mobile brothels on a big civilian ship behind our main fleet, to park it at some random planet and orbit the fleet around for the morale boost? Or only grounded populations work?

You will be able to use orbital habitats for the population requirement. I'm sure players will find inventive names for such ships.

Steve

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
All sensors and fire controls now require 100% Uridium, instead of 75% Uridium and 25% Duranium

Engines require 100% Gallicite instead of 75% Gallicite and 25% Duranium

Reactors require 100% Boronide instead of 75% Boronide and 25% Duranium
What precipitated this change? increasing demand for these 3 minerals at the expense of Duranium(which is highly prized as is)? I've only rarely run into a Gallicite crunch but was it ever painful.

Offline Stephan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=4837. msg49577#msg49577 date=1336226785
You will be able to use orbital habitats for the population requirement.  I'm sure players will find inventive names for such ships.

Steve

Persian Princess!!! Come to the Persian Princess for the best Drinks and Women money can buy in the Empire!!!

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »
Now there's a good use for conquered populations. Stick them all in big "entertainment" ships. Keep the troops happy.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 06:19:54 AM »
What precipitated this change? increasing demand for these 3 minerals at the expense of Duranium(which is highly prized as is)? I've only rarely run into a Gallicite crunch but was it ever painful.

I was updating the missile design code, which uses all of the above elements, and decided it was time to start changing the current situation, where almost everything requires Duranium. I may extend this in other areas at some point.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »
Well, I think it's fine to have a base material, unless you want to introduce basic metal to be found and needed everywhere.
Though it obviously simplies a lot if those specific components don't. Maybe you could even abstract away a material if you streamline everything for the sake of gameplay.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
Now there's a good use for conquered populations. Stick them all in big "entertainment" ships. Keep the troops happy.

Some slightly disturbing historical parallels :) but as the rules stand that would work. I wonder if I should make it imperial populations only, or leave it to players to RP it.

Steve

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
Some slightly disturbing historical parallels :) but as the rules stand that would work. I wonder if I should make it imperial populations only, or leave it to players to RP it.

Steve
My preference would be to leave it to RPing.