Author Topic: 2.5 Bugs  (Read 11702 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
It was a system name.  Sorry about that, I thought I had put it in the original post

I still can't find it :). Its entirely possible though I ran into this myself and already removed it from the database. Are you running v2.5 at the moment?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
It was a system name.  Sorry about that, I thought I had put it in the original post
I still can't find it :). Its entirely possible though I ran into this myself and already removed it from the database. Are you running v2.5 at the moment?

Steve

I am running 2.5 currently.  I was in SM mode using the SM race to generate some systems.  I also found another one just today.  same situation.  The theme says it is ancient egypt, but the name doesn't really match.  System name of Lac D'Orien.  It was within the first 30 systems I generated.

I hope this helps with the other one as well.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
I am running 2.5 currently.  I was in SM mode using the SM race to generate some systems.  I also found another one just today.  same situation.  The theme says it is ancient egypt, but the name doesn't really match.  System name of Lac D'Orien.  It was within the first 30 systems I generated. I hope this helps with the other one as well.

Thanks, that did help. I had forgotten that I created a list of about 15000 asteroid names to serve as backup once the theme names run out. Solov'yanen and Lac d'Orien were both in that list. By coincidence Solov'yanen sounded Egyptian enough for me to fail to make the connection but Lac d'Orien plainly isn't so I quickly realised the problem. Both names have now been removed from the database

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
Thanks, that did help. I had forgotten that I created a list of about 15000 asteroid names to serve as backup once the theme names run out. Solov'yanen and Lac d'Orien were both in that list. By coincidence Solov'yanen sounded Egyptian enough for me to fail to make the connection but Lac d'Orien plainly isn't so I quickly realised the problem. Both names have now been removed from the database

Glad that helped.  I bet you wish that you knew what a pain those aphostrophe's would be before you loaded the names into the database.  O well hindsight is supposed to be 20/20.

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »
Glad that helped.  I bet you wish that you knew what a pain those aphostrophe's would be before you loaded the names into the database.  O well hindsight is supposed to be 20/20.

They have been a pain for years so I am aware of the problem. I just couldn't check the 15,000 names in the asteroid list. It can also be a problem writing SQL to find them because the aphostrophes mess that up too. This problem was even reported on CNN a couple of days ago, although not specifically relating to Aurora :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/ ... index.html

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »
They have been a pain for years so I am aware of the problem. I just couldn't check the 15,000 names in the asteroid list. It can also be a problem writing SQL to find them because the aphostrophes mess that up too. This problem was even reported on CNN a couple of days ago, although not specifically relating to Aurora :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/ ... index.html

Steve

I had not realized that you loaded that many names in one batch.  No wonder you keep running into them.  The french have a habit on naming things with apostrophe's and they have been active over the years in astronomy.

Thanks for all the work you do.  I really like the program and have enjoyed playing around with it.  I am eagerly awaiting the next version as I had an idea years ago for a race that startet out in a nebula and never developed those shields and missle tech.

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2008, 07:46:37 AM »
I had not realized that you loaded that many names in one batch.  No wonder you keep running into them.  The french have a habit on naming things with apostrophe's and they have been active over the years in astronomy.
I have added some code to the routine that gets the next themed system name (or the next asteroid name) that should extract any apostrophes before using the name. That should fix the problem of apostrophes being used in the system names. Its easier than trying to check every existing name and also prevents the use of any names with apostrophes that get added in the future.

Thanks for all the work you do.  I really like the program and have enjoyed playing around with it.  I am eagerly awaiting the next version as I had an idea years ago for a race that startet out in a nebula and never developed those shields and missle tech.

That sounds like a really good idea. They also may not develop any significant engine tech because they can't go beyond a certain speed either, or more likely they would only develop such tech in conjunction with heavily armoured ships.

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »
I have added some code to the routine that gets the next themed system name (or the next asteroid name) that should extract any apostrophes before using the name. That should fix the problem of apostrophes being used in the system names. Its easier than trying to check every existing name and also prevents the use of any names with apostrophes that get added in the future.

Steve

How about replacing them with reversed apostrophe's? Those may look odd, but SQL doesn't gag on them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
Not sure if this is a bug or "undocumented feature".  :wink:

I had an attacking fleet pummel a planetary PDC with 20cm lasers while the PDC was unable to return fire with it's Fusion Torpedoes do to atmospheric pressure being 1.0.  I seam to recall lasers being restricted in atmosphere, but is this restriction on all beam weapons?  If so, does this mean that the only effective weapons that can be installed in PDC's for use on planets with atmospheres is missiles?  Should the attacking laser ship have been restricted as well?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2008, 07:33:52 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Not sure if this is a bug or "undocumented feature".  :wink:

I had an attacking fleet pummel a planetary PDC with 20cm lasers while the PDC was unable to return fire with it's Fusion Torpedoes do to atmospheric pressure being 1.0.  I seam to recall lasers being restricted in atmosphere, but is this restriction on all beam weapons?  If so, does this mean that the only effective weapons that can be installed in PDC's for use on planets with atmospheres is missiles?  Should the attacking laser ship have been restricted as well?

Yes, it sounds like a bug. All beam weapons except mesons should be restricted in atmosphere. I'll take a look at the code.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 06:51:54 PM »
I am not sure if this is a bug or not.  The advanced railguns are identical to the normal railguns.  They have the same range, damage, power and tonnage requirements.  Also the advanced lasers and carronades have the power requirement going up to match the damage they are doing.  I don't know if that was intentional or the result of the underlying formula for damage?

Also how about an improved version of meson's  base them off of the improved lasers range should work fine.

Brian

PS.  Looking forward to 2.6

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
I have some fuel harvesting ships, the commanders of which appear to have some sort of fuel saving abilities (one ship has a Grade Bonus of 11%).  However it not only saves me in using up fuel, it takes longer to harvest fuel!    Both started with the same amount of fuel and now one has about 5% or more fuel than the other ship.

Unless I'm reading it completely wrong and one commander is a much better harvester than the other.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
I have some fuel harvesting ships, the commanders of which appear to have some sort of fuel saving abilities (one ship has a Grade Bonus of 11%).  However it not only saves me in using up fuel, it takes longer to harvest fuel!    Both started with the same amount of fuel and now one has about 5% or more fuel than the other ship.

Unless I'm reading it completely wrong and one commander is a much better harvester than the other.

I think either mining or factory production bonuses affect fuel harvesting rates. Does the commander in queston have either of those bonuses?

Steve

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
(No subject)
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
Both commanders have mining bonuses.  Don't recall if they have factory production bonuses.

Can't remember what the bonuses are, but I thought they were around the same.  Will have to check when I get home.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2008, 05:27:47 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
Both commanders have mining bonuses.  Don't recall if they have factory production bonuses.

Can't remember what the bonuses are, but I thought they were around the same.  Will have to check when I get home.

I checked and it is mining bonuses that affect fuel harvesting. Here is a link to a thread with all the commander bonuses and their effects.

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?t=525

Steve